Well cuts off - reset button restarts

Users who are viewing this thread

wet8092

Reaction score
We got back from the Thanksgiving trip to no water. I figured it was the start cap, so replaced it and the pressure switch (contacts were getting bad anyway) and the pump starting working, but it's cutting out frequently and tripping the overload(?) switch. Pushing the reset button will restart the pump. Since the pump seems to be working fine, my guess is the run capacitor, but I no store around carries one, so I can't try it. Is there anything else I can check?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

wet8092

Reaction score
As a follow-up, at times the pressure switch is switching (chattering) quite a bit. Not always, but sometimes...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If a pump "chatters" on and off that will cause it to overheat and the overload will trip.

A motor always draws a lot of current during starting or whenever it is at low speed. That extra current causes a lot of heating in the windings and will cause the internal overload to trip.

You probably have a waterlogged tank, which is often caused by a failed bladder. Check the air valve and see if water comes out. It it does, the bladder has failed. If no water comes out that doesn't mean that the bladder is good.

With the power off, drain some water until pressure goes to zero. Then check the air pressure in the bladder. Pressure should be 2 psi less than the START pressure on the pressure switch. If it is low that could indicate a bladder failure. Pump the air pressure up to 2 psi less than the START pressure. That will help even if the bladder has failed, but if the probelm returns you will need a new tank.

wet8092

Reaction score
Thanks. Water is coming out of the air valve when the pump turns on. I'm not sure where to get a bladder. Is this an easy DIY? I like to do things myself, but since I can't let the family go without water I need to get it fixed. Thanks again.

R

Rancher

Very few bladders are replacable, you typically just buy a new bladder tank.

Rancher

wet8092

Reaction score
After reading some more posts, it sounds like I need a new tank. Correct? How long do tanks typically last. This one is ~10yrs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks