E-Z drywall tape?

Users who are viewing this thread

pipewoe

Reaction score
Finally time to drywall the bath. As a novice, I've read alot online about tape vs mesh, etc. I just found a product called E-Z drywall taping system that has a self-adhesive tape to cover the seams, then put 2 more coats of mud on. No embedding the tape step. Has anyone used this? It seems to be fairly new, and of course, the website video makes it look easy, but....

the website:
www.eztapingsystem.com

Would love to hear if anyone has used it, and how it went.

Thanks!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The blue stuff looks interesting, but I wonder what happens if it gets too wet prior to application. Then, that more-expensive and dripping tape would likely be messier than regular paper tape drawn from a mud box. Personally, I would just stick with plain ol' paper tape.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This would likely avoid the tape bubbling issue that a lot of novices run into because they didn't put enough mud under the tape. I'd give it a shot.

Tom

Prashster

Reaction score
I was afraid of paper too bkz I botched my 1st taping project.

I say don't be afraid of paper. Just practice. I admit, there's a bit of touch, but after one sheet, you'll get the hang of how hard to press (it's hard to mess it up unless you really dig in).

IMHO, the hardest part about taping is the final coat(s). I've HEARD that paper is more reliable on the gaps bkz it minimizes the hump, and the compound underneath is better long term than the adhesives on fiberglass or ez tape.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used the non-adhesive mesh tape with good results. It can be worked into the first layer and you don't get bubbles because the air can escape.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
The biggest thing I learned on paper tape is to not mess around with it too long after the mud hits that paper. The first 30 seconds it is stiff and workable. After that the paper gets soggy and when you trowel it it slides around, gets fuzzy, and goops up in a pile as it moves. Mud, tape, and trowel once, maybe twice and let it sit; don't overwork it. You can fix a bunch in the second and third coat... Once I figured this out I haven't done anything but paper tape. It's easy now... HTH

pipewoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. This is my first drywall experience and I'd rather not bungle it, although I know there's always a learning curve. Just trying to make it a gentle one!

I'm still intrigued by the "blue stuff" so if I decide to give it a whirl, I'll post an update.

Thanks

maddfrog

Reaction score
I'm trying out some tape I just picked up at the orange box - it's self-adhesive. You peel the backing off and stick it over the seam. It has a lot of perforations to allow air to escape, preventing air bubbles.

I've only done a few joints with it so far, but I like it. I've done a lot of taping w/ conventional paper tape, but this is much easier, at least on flat seams. I've only done one inside corner, but it was a little tricker because it sometimes tried to stick before I was ready. It's also not pre-creased, so you have to take the time to carefully crease it before you pull the backing off.

I'll try to post back with more impressions after I've worked with it a while longer.

maddfrog

Reaction score
As promised, here are my impressions after working with the peel-and-stick tape:

1. There are holes all over it, presumably to let air out, preventing bubbles. The down side is that those holes can cause your knife to chatter when doing corners, resulting in a washboard texture. I usually do my corners one side at a time with a flat knife, rather then using a corner trowel. It's slower, but I usually get better results.

2. If you don't stick it down really well, it wants to come off on its own when you put the first coat of mud on.

3. You need to either pre-fill flat seams even if there isn't a wide gap or you need to press the tape down into the seam a little or the tape floats a bit right where the seam is.

4. Corners are a PITA. If you don't stick it on right the first time (especially if you don't push it far enough into the corner) it's not very forgiving to being moved, whereas conventional tape will slide while it's still wet.

Overall, I like it for flat seams now that I've figured out how to get consistent results, but I think I'll switch back to smooth paper tape for inside corners.

Just my two cents.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back.

I will give that combo a try.

Drywall sucks.

Tom

tapekid

Reaction score
regarding ez tape

I am a renovation handy man type and hate to tape drywall, but it always seems to come on most jobs. I was looking for this tape that was on HGTV called Wetnstick, hearing it was activated by water and no need for filling first, saving time and money blah.. blah. I mentioned this to a number of people to be on the lookout. A buddy of mine said he got a sample roll of this other joint tape called ez tape and sent it to me. As it happened it arrived after I found the wet stick tape I was looking for, it was made by a company called Graber. This stuff was fantastic. I have never seen such a tight bond, when I had a small gap I taped right over it and the tape sank in as it dried -in about 40 minutes.. When I floated my first coat I noticed a center reveal when it dried. I put on the second coat and it was gone and I had a perfect joint.
Then I used the EZ tape sent to me on a small job. It looked real similar to the Grabber tape, but was narrower in width and seemed stiffer, the adhesive prior to wetting seemed brittle, but I used it anyway,to me the "feel" of the adhesive as it was applied on the wall board did not glide like the other,but went up okay. I had some issues when I put on the bed coat in the areas that had slight gaps.nothing terrible after I slit the bubbles that were above the surface. The next coat of mud helped some.It seemed to me that my experience was not as good with this tape and like the Grabber one better by far. I will not go back to taping the old way again.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm not a pro drywaller, but I know a few, from another board. A few of them swear by the wet&stick, others are dubious... and as for corners, everybody uses the old-school smooth paper tape in corners, even the guys who use fb mesh on the flat seams.

Me, I started in plaster, so I'm comfy with old-school smooth paper tape. And it's tried & true, I trust it - I'll try wet & stick in 20 years, if it's still around.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks