(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water pressure loss when using two faucets

Hybrid View

Default Water pressure loss when using two faucets

I just bought a home and notice that the pressure is ok when I have one faucet running but when i flush the toilet or turn on another water source the water pressure drops. I am connected to a county water line and the water main is running thru my property. The house was built in 1975 and it does have a pressure regulator....it may have two if I am not mistaken. What could be some possible causes? Also the shower pressure isn't really all that great when it is running by itself. I need to change the shower fixtures and faucets as one of the shower knobs is stripped and water is dripping because it can't fully close. Thanks for any input.

The first thing you should do is get a pressure gauge. You may be confusing low flow with low pressure. At this point, you are guessing about how much pressure you have. Check both sides of the PRV. It could be the PRV is shot or in need of adjustment. Since you have a PRV, there should be an expansion tank between the PRV and water heater. The pressure in the expansion tank should be the same as the PRV is set to. Next, what kind of pipes are in your home? If they are galvanized steel, they very well could be corroded nearly shut and needing replacement. Are there valves in the lines that could be partly closed? These are some of the things you need to do/check.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure what an expansion tank is and I don't believe that there is one installed in my house. I am not sure what kind of pipes they are but I would guess that they are galvanized.... I will try to take a look next time i'm at the house. It is a slab foundation house and all the pipes are in the foundation so I would have to run all new piping and have it go up under the roof. Would I be able to do the new piping change myself or is it really hard to do? I can do soldering but not sure what other major things need to be done to replace the piping...... I will see if I can find a gauge and hook it up to the washing machine hose, is this a correct way to test pressure? also is there any way to tell if the piping is corroded other than cutting the piping? Thanks. Btw I live in Hawaii so maybe we don't use expansion tanks here?

If your piping is galv. then your problem is most likely restricted flow due to corrosion on theinside of the pipes...
    The galv piping corrodes on the inside and causes a severe restriction in ID and flow resulting in exactly what you are describing...
    Usually your only cure is a re-pipe

Ok I went and checked the piping and it turns out that it is actually copper piping. I bought a pressure gauge and tested the pressure on one of the washing machine spigots and the gauge read 52 psi. I didn't think of turning on another faucet and see what the pressure dropped to until now lol. Anyways what could be causing this problem since we have ruled out galvanized piping? I should also add that the water heater is over 20 years old....could it be something to do with the water heater? Thanks.

anyone got any theories?