(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large hard stools (spinal cord injury) (parkinson's) current toilet clogs.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

I have not been successful in finding a recommendation for a replacement toilet. We presently have an old toilet that should be able to flush away solid waste adequately because of the amount of water, but there are special problems. We have 2 low-flush toilets also. No one can tell me what toilet is best to flush large, hard stools. Parkinson's medications cause hard stools and constipation. To counter this, supplements and stool softeners/laxatives must be used; and the stools become inflated. This particular problem is that even the old toilet will not flush large hard stools or only partial flushing takes place, and the stools are lodged further in the drain. A snake is generally needed. Plunging seldom works. Overflows have happened several times. No one tests toilets for this problem. What toilet is recommended for this type of waste? Naomi K
    YOUR search is OVER!!! Any toilet by Caroma! It has a 4” trap way. We generally sell the Caravelle They are also a dual flush toilet
    Terry

Thank you! I presume the 4" trapway still fits the normal plumbing. Do you have a model #? I will go to the site you give. May 13 2010
    Naomi
    Please suggest models I should get as a replacement toilet. I don't know anything about rough-in. About 10 years ago, we bought a Kohler as a replacement but it was apparently for new construction and fits tight against the wall. We need a "replacement" toilet. I went to the Caroma site, but they all state "rough-in" measurements. May 13 2010

Where are you located? And what is your rough in measurement? I can help you get that if you don’t know how. Maybe a phone call would be best, give us a call at 206-949-5683

OK, Terry. I got someone to measure it for me. They said the rough-in is measured from the wall to the mounting bolts on the bottom of the toilet. The rough-in is 12 3/8". I have another bathroom that needs redone but was told to wait till the first one is finished. So do I have to choose certain Caroma models to fit this measurement?
    May 15 2010

Hello. I want to thank you for recommending the Caroma toilet. We have had it installed for about a week and so far so good--no backups/overflows. Thanks for responding to my predicament in needing a 4-inch trapway.
    Naomi
    June 13, 2010

Last edited by Reader Review; 06-13-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A 12" rough-in toilet (that's the most common one sold in the USA) will work. If your rough-in is slightly larger, the gap behind the toilet will be larger by that amount...no biggie. Some brands make toilets to fit on three rough-in's (often it is just the depth of the tank, but not always - Toto does it differently): 10", 12", or 14". You always want to have at least the number inidicated...more is okay.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I live alone and have the luxury of a long soak. I just allowed an overnight soak and it is no better than last night. Would something like Drano or some other product help? I currently have something in the bottom of the bowl, in the throat of the drain that will not go down. In another bathroom, I am blessed with something hung farther down the drain that inhibits flushing. I dare not use it for anything solid. I have a third bath but am rapidly running out of johns.

Default Best toilet for extra large stools

i am now taking care of my brother and it is a disaster in the bathroom. I need to purchase a new toilet ASAP. He is on lots of medicine plus he has always had a problem with extra large stools and they are hard --DAILY!
    I am cleaning overflow everyday! It seems from what I have readthat the Caroma toilets are best for this problem. I also read that the person has to hit the hole in exact place because there is not much water and it is a big mess to clean bowl. is this true? If so I guess I would rather clean inside bowl than outside toilet. Please let me know the right toilet to buy as I can only purchase one!
    thank you!
    Julie

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Look into the Caroma line. It's better to have to clean a little than to have to break them apart with a stick then flush and clean. Most of the low-flow toilets legal today have a fairly small water spot compared with older, higher flow models so that is common. The Caroma have a 3" trapway, where most others use someing in the 2-1/8" or so. That extra diameter lets those logs go down.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Super large 3" trapway on the Caroma 305 bowl, an inch larger then everything else.

Question A few Questions Regarding The Caroma 4'' Trapway Toilets.

Hey Guys,

Like a few of the other members, I also suffer from a medical condition which causes me to have very thick, long, and dry bowel movements that often clog the toilet. Going through the forum I've noticed that the most recommended toilet for such problems is the Caroma with the 4'' trapway. I've read a few reviews which mentioned that there is very heavy splashing on butt cheeks, seat, and surrounding floor and I wanted to ask someone who has experience with this toilet if the splashing is something that can be minimized/eliminated thorough some sort of an adjustment or if it's something that cannot be controlled? I also noticed a couple people complain about the water level being too low but I found an official video tutorial which shows how to make it higher. One review states:

"Caroma touts its big 4 inch trapway, but if you actually measure the outlet it is only 3 3/8 inches inside diameter (which is certainly bigger than the normal, but not quite as big as they claim). Furthermore, after you plug the toilet into the Caroma trap adaptor, the functional outlet size is further reduced in one dimension, becoming more of an eye-shaped oval, roughly 3 3/8 inches in the long side and maybe 2 1/2 inches in the reduced side."

Now, it's one thing to make something fit into the 4'' trapway and another thing for it to go cleanly into the adapter and 3'' pipe (especially since the person mentioned it narrows down to 2 1/2'' on one side). So I am wondering if anyone has experienced situations where they were able to fit large stools into the 4'' trapway only for them to get clogged at the trap adapter or the 3'' pipe? Perhaps the force of the water is able to push it through hard enough so it's a non-issue?

I would also like to ask, how is the bowl rinse on these toilets and how does the flushing power compare to let's say a Cadet 3 or a Champion 4 which both have a MaP score of 1000?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Blog Entries

In your situation, I would NOT get the American Standard Cadet, or the Champion. These trapways are too small.
    Their trapways are about 2", which for 99% would be fine, but you're a one percenter.

Your best bet is a Caroma bowl, and if you can't get that, you can try the Kohler Highline with a Flushmate pressure assist.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    In your situation, I would NOT get the American Standard Cadet, or the Champion. These trapways are too small.
    Their trapways are about 2", which for 99% would be fine, but you're a one percenter.

Your best bet is a Caroma bowl, and if you can't get that, you can try the Kohler Highline with pressure assist.
    Thanks for the advice. Do you by any chance know if the splashing is still a big problem and if it can be minimized/eliminated? Also, do you think that very thick and dry stool will have any problems going through the smaller trap adapter (3 3/8'' by 2 1/2'') or into the 3'' pipe after it initially goes into the 4'' opening or will it have built up enough force by then to go through smoothly?
    Last edited by Terry; 03-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Blog Entries

You really don't have much choice.

Yes, there can be a little splash back onto the seat, though most don't seem to notice.
    We have been recommending the Caroma bowl for just this situation, and if you are asking if it has been working for them, the answer is yes.
    I had one maintenance guy complain that at the college where he works, WSU, he's had to fish tennis shoes out of the main sewer line. Kids were flushing shoes down the toilet.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    You really don't have much choice.

Yes, there can be a little splash back onto the seat, though most don't seem to notice.
    We have been recommending the Caroma bowl for just this situation, and if you are asking if it has been working for them, the answer is yes.
    I had one maintenance guy complain that the college where he works, WSU, he's had to fish tennis shoes out of the main sewer line. Kids were flushing shoes down the toilet.
    LOL @ tennis shoes. Anytime I see that the stool is too big to flush I just pour a little bit of drain opener into the bowl and fairly quickly it softens and melts it down and then flushes without a problem. It's definitely easier and much more pleasant than struggling with a plunger. I was really hoping to find a toilet that can just flush the larger pieces right away and from what I've read on the forum the Caroma was the most recommended for these situations. I was just a little bit concerned because some reviews mentioned a lot of splashing and the bowl not rinsing all that well. So basically I'm still trying to decide weather to go with a standard toilet with a powerful flush that doesn't splash water and has a good bowl rinse but requires some extra work sometimes or something that requires no work but splashes and leaves the bowl less clean. Anyways, the forum and your advice has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Drain openers that are caustic and not good to put in a toilet. Yes, you may get some splashing with the Caroma, but they will flat flush. It's a trade off. We all look to find perfection, but darn it, it just isn't always possible. Floating around somewhere, probably on You Tube, there is a video demonstrating the Caroma flushing a load of large Russet potatoes! It's almost unbelievable. If I had the problem you describe, I'd get the Caroma and then put the lid down before I flushed. I don't like the pressure assist toilets, they are too loud and they splash too. Moreover, when the pressure unit go bad, it can cost quite a bit to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    Drain openers that are caustic and not good to put in a toilet. Yes, you may get some splashing with the Caroma, but they will flat flush. It's a trade off. We all look to find perfection, but darn it, it just isn't always possible. Floating around somewhere, probably on You Tube, there is a video demonstrating the Caroma flushing a load of large Russet potatoes! It's almost unbelievable. If I had the problem you describe, I'd get the Caroma and then put the lid down before I flushed. I don't like the pressure assist toilets, they are too loud and they splash too. Moreover, when the pressure unit go bad, it can cost quite a bit to repair.
    The stuff I use is supposed to be safe for plastic pipes but I always flush several times afterwards just in case to make sure it doesn't sit in the pipes and cause damage. I have seen two videos of potatoes being flush down Caroma toilets but they weren't connected to real pipes and someone mentioned that once the trap adapter is installed the opening gets more narrow "becoming more of an eye-shaped oval, roughly 3 3/8 inches in the long side and maybe 2 1/2 inches in the reduced side" so I wonder if the potatoes would go down properly into a real pipe. Due to a mobility problem, getting off the toilet and putting the lid down every time I have to flush would be very difficult for me especially since I often have to flush many times as it takes a long time to fully go. I was at a hotel recently which had pressure assisted units and they did flush well but like you mentioned they were loud and splashed a bit plus I noticed that particular unit did not have good bowl rinse. I'm considering the Caroma Sydney model since it has the highest MaP score of 1000.

Blog Entries

A MaP higher then 500 is a pretty much useless stat.

The old toilets moved 150 - 175 grams.

Watersense gives their rating on 350 grams.

Terry, in your opinion is the Kohler Highline with pressure assist better than the Gerber Ultraflush for my situation?