Large hard stools (spinal cord injury) (parkinson's) current toilet clogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
They work just fine the way there are.
They all come as a dual flush, but of course you are free to monkey around with it. I've never modified one before though. Never needed to.

The one pictured is the 270 bowl. The 305 is more like a standard installation.
The 270 has an adapter that mounts to the flange, and then the bowl drops over it. Two screws through the floor secure it at the back.

Ok they work fine until they break and I need to know if I need to go ahead and order repair parts for it. I dont want to go over to the home and remove the existing toilet and install the new caroma only to have a defective part or a week,month,year,years later.

I wish you had a pic of the tank parts.

I'll check out the 305.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
http://www.caromausa.com/products/index/cu_products22.php

It looks like it's the 270 bowl with the Bondi tank.
It's called "Easy Height" in the Caroma.

You could use the Fluidmaster fill valve. They used to use them. They don't use the bowl fill feature though.
But the there are other brands that have used a Fluidmaster without bowl fill too. Kohler has some models like that with the Fluidmaster.
I've gotten parts, but they have been very dependable, so it hasn't been an issue.

sydney_inside_tank.jpg

Looking at the top of the 305 bowl

caroma_305_bowl.jpg

Last edited:

S.Austin

Reaction score
on 2 different occasions in 2 different houses lived have had sim. prob. both times i could not plunge or snake away prob. i thought for sure that i would find a hot wheel other toy obstructions when i pulled toilet. nope; both times the toilets were packed with extremely dense claylike stools that had to be removed by hand in yard and blasted clean with water hose. we also believe that this condition was brought on by medications my son takes. man i wish it had been a hot wheel car! anyway, my point is one of these toilets was the good OLD FASHIOnED toilets that would usually flush anything as well as a low flow toilet. i believe THE BIG BOWELMOVEMENTSOF CLAY can possibly b too much for typical residential systems.?

bkradel

Reaction score
I have followed this thread for years now. Of course, we have a medical issue in our family which causes huge solid waste. We currently have a Gerber toilet that was installed in the late 1990's. It has ruined our bathroom floor with constant overflows. It works fine for a quick tinkle, but nothing else. Thankfully we have a very old 1950's 'retro' pink toilet in an old bathroom in the back bedroom. It handles everything very well-but we certainly do not like to take visitors to that unsightly part of our house! I am convinced a Caroma or a Kohler Highline (with pressure assist) is the way to go, to replace the Gerber. I really like the 3" trap size of the Caroma. IMHO trap size matters for the 'crappy' medical issue we are dealing with!

My problem is finding a Caroma in this part of the country; the Pittsburgh PA area. I have a phone call in to a company in Columbus OH that carries them and I would drive there to get it. I am leery of ordering one online for fear it would crack during shipping. Do you all have any experience with shipping of a Caroma (I am not certain which Caroma yet)? What about special parts or gaskets that you might want to keep on hand for repairs? Because of availability, I might also consider the Kohler Highline with the pressure assist. Does anyone here have any pro/con thoughts on the Highline? I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or input anyone would have. Thanks so much :)

Spta97

Reaction score
I have followed this thread for years now. Of course, we have a medical issue in our family which causes huge solid waste. We currently have a Gerber toilet that was installed in the late 1990's. It has ruined our bathroom floor with constant overflows. It works fine for a quick tinkle, but nothing else. Thankfully we have a very old 1950's 'retro' pink toilet in an old bathroom in the back bedroom. It handles everything very well-but we certainly do not like to take visitors to that unsightly part of our house! I am convinced a Caroma or a Kohler Highline (with pressure assist) is the way to go, to replace the Gerber. I really like the 3" trap size of the Caroma. IMHO trap size matters for the 'crappy' medical issue we are dealing with!

My problem is finding a Caroma in this part of the country; the Pittsburgh PA area. I have a phone call in to a company in Columbus OH that carries them and I would drive there to get it. I am leery of ordering one online for fear it would crack during shipping. Do you all have any experience with shipping of a Caroma (I am not certain which Caroma yet)? What about special parts or gaskets that you might want to keep on hand for repairs? Because of availability, I might also consider the Kohler Highline with the pressure assist. Does anyone here have any pro/con thoughts on the Highline? I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or input anyone would have. Thanks so much :)

I can comment on the Kohler highline pressure assist. I have has this toilet since I took a trip for work to the M resort in Las Vegas (I actually called them to find out the model number).

It has been 2 or 3 years since and I have NEVER, EVER clogged it. I cannot say the same for the Toyo that is about the same age.

I don't think I have medical problems though I seem to use a lot of TP :). The Toyo (which is the standard one recommended on this forum) easily chokes. So much so that I have gotten into the habit of flushing it thrice - otherwise it will clog.

Moreover, the bowl cleaning abilities of the pressure assist are vastly superior. The way it flushes is ingenious as well. It will do the initial whoosh to push waste down the pipes, but has almost a secondary flush that does a great job of cleaning the front an back of the bowl.

As far as down sides, it does cost more and has more complicated parts with the pressure tank. I once ha an issue where it would not build up pressure but, to my surprise, the tank has a lifetime warranty and the company was happy to send out the required part and I was back up and running in a few days.

The other down side is noise. It is loud so I wouldn't plan on one if you have sleeping babies in the adjoining room. On the up side it is a quick flush rather than the drawn out flush of a standard toilet.

I'm sure ill get flamed, but I refuse to live anywhere where I cannot have this toilet :)

And no, I don't work for Kohler!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure assist won't do much more than push that hard log tighter into the smaller trapway. It can work fine with the other 98% of the people out there (disregarding the noise and TP shredding that can happen). If yours truly are hard and long, you'd be better served by one of the Caroma's that has a true 3" trapway and smoother curves along the way to the flange.

bkradel

Reaction score
Thank you both for your reply! I really do favor the Caroma for the larger trapway but, if am unable to get one in the tri-state area for less than $600 then I might have to settle for the Kohler Highline, which really seemed like the best second option for me.

I wish I had a pressure tank to inspect how it really works and how, or if, I could repair it. I did find a couple of video repairs online and even the repair of the pressure assist valve did not seem difficult. I would just have trouble shooting any malfunction because I am unfamiliar with it. If I do have to go with the Kohler, I also would not look forward to family members having to do the 'slice and dice'; but at least it would flush.

I would love to know of anyone out there might have even ordered a Caroma online. I really do not trust shipping on such a large breakable item.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are in Pittsburgh, then you shouldn't have to mail order any plumbing.
Check with caromausa.com about their dealer network.
I would also look into the Koher Highline with Flushmate pressure assist as an option.

Give your bathroom floor a break and buy something that doesn't overflow.

And to SPTA97, if you are using that much paper, you should be getting a bidet seat.
In other parts of the world they wash with water, not trees.

highline-pa-ken.jpg

Kohler Highline with Flushmate

Last edited:

bkradel

Reaction score
Thank you Terry.
I was on the caromausa.com website and the closest dealer I could get was in Columbus Ohio. That drive is certainly an option for a Caroma. I called a couple of local reliable plumbers I trust and they said the closest they could find it was in Muncie, Indiana. (I am about an hour south of Pittsburgh)

Paper is not a problem here at all, it is pure solid waste prior to paper, that is the issue; although a bidet could be an interesting luxury! Thanks again.

Seattle2k

Reaction score
FYI, I've dropped a few dueces that have clogged my Caroma, as well as my Aquia. I eat more fiber now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks