(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large hard stools (spinal cord injury) (parkinson's) current toilet clogs.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Terry, in your opinion is the Kohler Highline with pressure assist better than the Gerber Ultraflush for my situation?
    Yes.
    The Gerber has only a 1-7/8 opening as the trapway exits the bowl.
    The Kohler has a larger trapway.

And don't tell me that the Gerber specs mention an average of 3". Someone was smoking pot when they wrote that. You can't fool a plumber. We carry tape measures.

The Gerber's 1-7/8" trapway exit.

Super large 3" trapway on the Caroma 305 bowl, an inch larger then everything else.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks Terry,
    Sorry to bother you with so many questions but I just wanted to ask you a couple more things. In the Caromas, is the exit hole in the bowl as big as the trapway? Also, a few people mentioned having to drill holes in their bathroom floor in order to install their Caroma and I was wondering what that's all about?
    Last edited by Terry; 11-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Also, a few people mentioned having to drill holes in their bathroom floor in order to install their Caroma and I was wondering what that's all about?
    Caroma's usually use a flange adapter that you set the toilet onto then fasten it down with 2 screw holes at the back. I always silicone them as well as the screws don't hold it in place that well. The 305 doesn't use that adapter so if you go with it you will be fine.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Blog Entries

If you have a problem with the Caroma trapway, it will be the first. I would be amazed.
    Do you think you are that amazing?

270 bowl uses an adapter that mounts with standard closet bolts, and two screws at the back of the bowl.
    305 uses the standard closet bolts at the flange.
    I caulk the bowls to the floor when I'm done installing.

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    The advantage of a larger diameter trapway is that a stick can go around the curves better. I doubt there is any human that could create a stool large enough in diameter to not make it through a typical toilet...but, when you add in the fact it is long and hard, you need that extra diameter for it to navigate through.

A pressure assist was discussed...I'm not sure that would make much of any difference except add costs and maintenance (not counting the noiser flush). If the trapway isn't big enough, until the stool has a chance to soften by sitting in the water, it's not going anywhere.
    I know everyone on this forum seems to hate pressure assisted models but I love my Kohler pressure assisted model and it puts my g/f's Toto to shame. I have learned with the Toto I often have to flush 1/2 way through or risk a clog (it is the model with the two "power jets" on the rim).

I agree that there is more that could go wrong and I had an issue with my pressure assisted model last week that prevented it from working. After a toll free call to Sloan (they make the pressure tank) they sent me the replacement part (actuator) along with instructions on how to install it. The part arrived on Saturday (2 days later) and I was up and running in 10 minutes. To my surprise I found out that the pressure tank has a 10 year warranty. I have not found other companies that stand behind their product as long.

So, it was a 2-day inconvienence but it was no additional money. Not to mention the bowl rinses much cleaner than the Toto.

Point is, if you can put up with the noise it is worth a look.

Blog Entries

If you have this guys problem, I don't recommend a gravity except the Caroma. A medical condition means that most products aren't going to cut it. The Kohler pressure assist is also a good option if you have medical issues. It's about $450
    Last edited by Terry; 01-31-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks Terry, I'm really thinking of giving the Caroma a try. Do you know if the hole in the Caroma bowl where the waste initially passes through before it enters the trapway is the same size as the trapway or is it smaller?

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Ok I have a few questions about the caromas tank parts. Will a fluidmaster fit it? Do they make one without the dual flush?

I was looking at this one......BUT feel free to point me in another direction.

http://www.caromausa.com/database/fi...ech_manual.pdf

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Ok I have a few questions about the caromas tank parts. Will a fluidmaster fit it? Do they make one without the dual flush?

I was looking at this one......BUT feel free to point me in another direction.

http://www.caromausa.com/database/fi...ech_manual.pdf

Blog Entries

They work just fine the way there are.
    They all come as a dual flush, but of course you are free to monkey around with it. I've never modified one before though. Never needed to.

The one pictured is the 270 bowl. The 305 is more like a standard installation.
    The 270 has an adapter that mounts to the flange, and then the bowl drops over it. Two screws through the floor secure it at the back.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    They work just fine the way there are.
    They all come as a dual flush, but of course you are free to monkey around with it. I've never modified one before though. Never needed to.

The one pictured is the 270 bowl. The 305 is more like a standard installation.
    The 270 has an adapter that mounts to the flange, and then the bowl drops over it. Two screws through the floor secure it at the back.
    Ok they work fine until they break and I need to know if I need to go ahead and order repair parts for it. I dont want to go over to the home and remove the existing toilet and install the new caroma only to have a defective part or a week,month,year,years later.

I wish you had a pic of the tank parts.

I'll check out the 305.

Blog Entries

http://www.caromausa.com/products/in...products22.php

It looks like it's the 270 bowl with the Bondi tank.
    It's called "Easy Height" in the Caroma.

You could use the Fluidmaster fill valve. They used to use them. They don't use the bowl fill feature though.
    But the there are other brands that have used a Fluidmaster without bowl fill too. Kohler has some models like that with the Fluidmaster.
    I've gotten parts, but they have been very dependable, so it hasn't been an issue.

Looking at the top of the 305 bowl

Last edited by Terry; 03-08-2012 at 06:29 PM.

on 2 different occasions in 2 different houses lived have had sim. prob. both times i could not plunge or snake away prob. i thought for sure that i would find a hot wheel other toy obstructions when i pulled toilet. nope; both times the toilets were packed with extremely dense claylike stools that had to be removed by hand in yard and blasted clean with water hose. we also believe that this condition was brought on by medications my son takes. man i wish it had been a hot wheel car! anyway, my point is one of these toilets was the good OLD FASHIOnED toilets that would usually flush anything as well as a low flow toilet. i believe THE BIG BOWELMOVEMENTSOF CLAY can possibly b too much for typical residential systems.?

I have followed this thread for years now. Of course, we have a medical issue in our family which causes huge solid waste. We currently have a Gerber toilet that was installed in the late 1990's. It has ruined our bathroom floor with constant overflows. It works fine for a quick tinkle, but nothing else. Thankfully we have a very old 1950's 'retro' pink toilet in an old bathroom in the back bedroom. It handles everything very well-but we certainly do not like to take visitors to that unsightly part of our house! I am convinced a Caroma or a Kohler Highline (with pressure assist) is the way to go, to replace the Gerber. I really like the 3" trap size of the Caroma. IMHO trap size matters for the 'crappy' medical issue we are dealing with!

My problem is finding a Caroma in this part of the country; the Pittsburgh PA area. I have a phone call in to a company in Columbus OH that carries them and I would drive there to get it. I am leery of ordering one online for fear it would crack during shipping. Do you all have any experience with shipping of a Caroma (I am not certain which Caroma yet)? What about special parts or gaskets that you might want to keep on hand for repairs? Because of availability, I might also consider the Kohler Highline with the pressure assist. Does anyone here have any pro/con thoughts on the Highline? I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or input anyone would have. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by bkradel View Post
    I have followed this thread for years now. Of course, we have a medical issue in our family which causes huge solid waste. We currently have a Gerber toilet that was installed in the late 1990's. It has ruined our bathroom floor with constant overflows. It works fine for a quick tinkle, but nothing else. Thankfully we have a very old 1950's 'retro' pink toilet in an old bathroom in the back bedroom. It handles everything very well-but we certainly do not like to take visitors to that unsightly part of our house! I am convinced a Caroma or a Kohler Highline (with pressure assist) is the way to go, to replace the Gerber. I really like the 3" trap size of the Caroma. IMHO trap size matters for the 'crappy' medical issue we are dealing with!

My problem is finding a Caroma in this part of the country; the Pittsburgh PA area. I have a phone call in to a company in Columbus OH that carries them and I would drive there to get it. I am leery of ordering one online for fear it would crack during shipping. Do you all have any experience with shipping of a Caroma (I am not certain which Caroma yet)? What about special parts or gaskets that you might want to keep on hand for repairs? Because of availability, I might also consider the Kohler Highline with the pressure assist. Does anyone here have any pro/con thoughts on the Highline? I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or input anyone would have. Thanks so much
    I can comment on the Kohler highline pressure assist. I have has this toilet since I took a trip for work to the M resort in Las Vegas (I actually called them to find out the model number).

It has been 2 or 3 years since and I have NEVER, EVER clogged it. I cannot say the same for the Toyo that is about the same age.

I don't think I have medical problems though I seem to use a lot of TP . The Toyo (which is the standard one recommended on this forum) easily chokes. So much so that I have gotten into the habit of flushing it thrice - otherwise it will clog.

Moreover, the bowl cleaning abilities of the pressure assist are vastly superior. The way it flushes is ingenious as well. It will do the initial whoosh to push waste down the pipes, but has almost a secondary flush that does a great job of cleaning the front an back of the bowl.

As far as down sides, it does cost more and has more complicated parts with the pressure tank. I once ha an issue where it would not build up pressure but, to my surprise, the tank has a lifetime warranty and the company was happy to send out the required part and I was back up and running in a few days.

The other down side is noise. It is loud so I wouldn't plan on one if you have sleeping babies in the adjoining room. On the up side it is a quick flush rather than the drawn out flush of a standard toilet.

I'm sure ill get flamed, but I refuse to live anywhere where I cannot have this toilet

And no, I don't work for Kohler!