(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large hard stools (spinal cord injury) (parkinson's) current toilet clogs.

Hybrid View

Default Large hard stools (spinal cord injury) (parkinson's) current toilet clogs.

I have a family member with a spinal cord injury. The result has been large, hard, stools that clog the toilet. Can you recommend a toilet that will remove waste in one flush and not clog? Thanks!

I'm also adding other reasons for large hard stools, Parkinson's, certain medications, medical problems.
    Maybe less then 1% of the population has these issues, but they are very real issues.
    Terry
    Last edited by Reader Review; 06-13-2010 at 11:05 PM.

I am sure that whoever handles the bedpan wears gloves, so how about breaking the turds into bite size pieces?

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Default Dealt with this with a few customers

and the only advice is to follow kordts on breaking up the matter before disposing of it. No easy task in those matters unless you change the diet of the injured to soften the stool.

Doctors can prescribe medications to resolve the problem.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Default Update

Patient gets around and no bedpan is required. Changing diet is not the issue here. Sluggish bowel movements are a fact of life with this type of injury. I was hoping to find a toilet that is powerful enough to do the job.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Large hard stools
    There is only one toilet on the market with a trapway larger than 3", and that is the Australian Caroma.
    Their 270 model has a 4" trapway.
    It sure beats breaking it up with a stick.

For everyone else, a trapway of 2-1/8" is plenty.

Caroma Sydney with 270 bowl.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-01-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by Mystor View Post
    Patient gets around and no bedpan is required. Changing diet is not the issue here. Sluggish bowel movements are a fact of life with this type of injury. I was hoping to find a toilet that is powerful enough to do the job.

Go with pressure assist then but wear goggles and face mask when you flush!
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

I have horrible bowels, and lost a day of work yesterday and spent 4 hours at the hospital because of them.

Up until now, the only toilets that worked best for me were the old 7 gallon gushers with wall hung tank and bowl with the trap to the front; "Standard" MODERNUS is my signature toilet.

I also have a TOTO Drake, installed 2 years ago, and with the workout it gets, I have not been able to plug it. It completely solved the toilet issues in my only bathroom with a 12-inch rough flange (couldn't put a 14-inch rough 7 gallon toilet in that spot) when everything else failed.

Also suggest a dose of Metamucil in orange juice in the morning and to include apples and fruit in the diet.

Goog luck.

achutch

I live alone and have the luxury of a long soak. I just allowed an overnight soak and it is no better than last night. Would something like Drano or some other product help? I currently have something in the bottom of the bowl, in the throat of the drain that will not go down. In another bathroom, I am blessed with something hung farther down the drain that inhibits flushing. I dare not use it for anything solid. I have a third bath but am rapidly running out of johns.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The advantage of a larger diameter trapway is that a stick can go around the curves better. I doubt there is any human that could create a stool large enough in diameter to not make it through a typical toilet...but, when you add in the fact it is long and hard, you need that extra diameter for it to navigate through.

A pressure assist was discussed...I'm not sure that would make much of any difference except add costs and maintenance (not counting the noiser flush). If the trapway isn't big enough, until the stool has a chance to soften by sitting in the water, it's not going anywhere.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I have sold about 30-40 of the Caromas. If any toilet is going to flush a large solid the Caroma will do it best. I have sold one to a gentleman who had the same problem as yours and he has no problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    The advantage of a larger diameter trapway is that a stick can go around the curves better. I doubt there is any human that could create a stool large enough in diameter to not make it through a typical toilet...but, when you add in the fact it is long and hard, you need that extra diameter for it to navigate through.

A pressure assist was discussed...I'm not sure that would make much of any difference except add costs and maintenance (not counting the noiser flush). If the trapway isn't big enough, until the stool has a chance to soften by sitting in the water, it's not going anywhere.
    I know everyone on this forum seems to hate pressure assisted models but I love my Kohler pressure assisted model and it puts my g/f's Toto to shame. I have learned with the Toto I often have to flush 1/2 way through or risk a clog (it is the model with the two "power jets" on the rim).

I agree that there is more that could go wrong and I had an issue with my pressure assisted model last week that prevented it from working. After a toll free call to Sloan (they make the pressure tank) they sent me the replacement part (actuator) along with instructions on how to install it. The part arrived on Saturday (2 days later) and I was up and running in 10 minutes. To my surprise I found out that the pressure tank has a 10 year warranty. I have not found other companies that stand behind their product as long.

So, it was a 2-day inconvienence but it was no additional money. Not to mention the bowl rinses much cleaner than the Toto.

Point is, if you can put up with the noise it is worth a look.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have this guys problem, I don't recommend a gravity except the Caroma. A medical condition means that most products aren't going to cut it. The Kohler pressure assist is also a good option if you have medical issues. It's about $450
    Last edited by Terry; 01-31-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks Terry, I'm really thinking of giving the Caroma a try. Do you know if the hole in the Caroma bowl where the waste initially passes through before it enters the trapway is the same size as the trapway or is it smaller?

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Ok I have a few questions about the caromas tank parts. Will a fluidmaster fit it? Do they make one without the dual flush?

I was looking at this one......BUT feel free to point me in another direction.

http://www.caromausa.com/database/fi...ech_manual.pdf

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Ok I have a few questions about the caromas tank parts. Will a fluidmaster fit it? Do they make one without the dual flush?

I was looking at this one......BUT feel free to point me in another direction.

http://www.caromausa.com/database/fi...ech_manual.pdf