Toto Drake installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

BDPlikaytis

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been lurking here for some time reading all the great advice about Toto toilets. Based on what I have read here, I purchased the Eco-max version of the Drake model. My installation question concerns the wax ring and whether it is necessary to get a ring that includes the funnel (I think some folks call this a 'horn'). It creates a more certain channel from the toilet to the waste pipe that may be more resistant to leaks. Is it necessary to use this type of mechanism? I ask because the funnel narrows down to 3 inches so that it will fit with both 3 inch and 4 inch flanges. I have the 4 inch flange so If I use this, will this narrowing (from 4 to 3 inches) cause any problems with the toilet evacuating its contents? Will I experience more clogs with this mechanism than without?

thank you in advance for all help, advice , and suggestions.

Brian
Tucker, Georgia

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In certain circumstances, the plastic horn causes more problems that it is supposed to fix. Best to be avoided. The biggest thing in setting a toilet is to do it essentially twice, the first time without the wax ring to check if it sits flat. If it doesn't add some shims so that when you do put it back, you know it won't rock. A rocking toilet will break the wax seal, the horn might keep it from leaking unless there is a backup, but it will still leak sewer gases.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks