Cloudy hot water:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I just spent the last three days repiping my old house from galv 1/2" to copper 3/4". In the process i also moved the hot water tank into the garage. When I switched on the water everything flowed where it should except for one leak:)

However my hot water is coming out cloudy at all hot water faucets,it was not cloudy before the switch to 3/4" copper. I filled the tank with water before I connected the electricity. Ideas anyone?

Thanks and happy thanksgiving

Martin

TMB9862

Reaction score
Two theories.
1. It's possible you broke up some buildup inside the water heater in the process of moving it.
2. You have flux, solder, dirt, etc inside your pipes.

I'd thoroughly flush the hot water heater, let it run for fifteen minutes or so or until it's running clear. If that doesn't solve it I'd remove the aerators on your facets and let them run for a while. If you still have a problem it sounds like water heater time. How old is the heater?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Most likely debris from the water heater.

It should settle out within the next few days.

Cruiser

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys folks, the heater is just less than a year old though:confused: I'll try run the hot for 15 mins and will update

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fill up a cup with the hot water and wait a minute or two. Does the cloudiness disappear? If so, it's nothing more than tiny air bubbles.

Last edited:

Cruiser

Reaction score
Eric,

I did that and it the water does go clear after a couple of mins,so air it is. Any idea how it's getting in or how I can get rid of it? It's no harm but kinda looks gross(so the wife says).

Martin

TMB9862

Reaction score
Do you have an expansion tank of your potable water system? If you do is it on the hot side?

R

Rancher

.I did that and it the water does go clear after a couple of mins,so air it is.
We used to get this when I was a kid after the well pump had been pulled and replaced, I was never told the reason it got cloudy, but in hind sight and old age, I suspect that the water pressure was allowed to go very high, therefore impregnating the water with air. It's possible that the T&P valve on your water heater is not operating and you have a check valve at the house that doesn't allow the water pressure to escape? Can you manually operate the T&P valve, and see if it closes afterward? My experience is that you will have to replace it after testing it.

Rancher

Cruiser

Reaction score
I think we may have a winner,took off the aerator and it's way better still a bit cloudy but nearly sunny.Back to the turkey, thanks folks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you cut the pipe, did you use the tool to reshape the inside so there wasn't a lip? That will cause a little turbulance. It's worse when the cutting wheel starts to get dull or if you tighten too much on each turn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks