food color testing for leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Grazzy

Reaction score
i just finished replacing the flappers and seat discs in all 6 of our toilets. i've color tested them for leaks and a few of them have a slight leakage (maybe a few drops, less than an ounce) over a several hour period. a flapper is never actually 100% water tight is it? BTW most are old kohlers and one american standard vent away. and, yes, i know i should replace them all, but color matches and cost are obstacles right now.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they don't leak enough to cause the fill valve to open up, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Slow leaks coupled with hard water will cause mineral build up in the bowl and water ways.

Yes, even a slow leak like that.

A flapper/disc should stop "all" water from leaking past the disc.

What brand of disc did you use?

I would check it in a few days as it my seat better and not leak at all.

Did you check the disc seat for any build up B 4 installing the disc?

Last edited:

Grazzy

Reaction score
for the american standard, i used a danco and it seems to be working fine. on the koehlers i used the name brand and tried to rub the seat in case any sediment had built up. i do have a water softener, so sediment shouldn't be a real big problem. the kohlers have always caused me some sort of trouble since i've owned the house.

IMTONY

Reaction score
i just finished replacing the flappers and seat discs in all 6 of our toilets. i've color tested them for leaks and a few of them have a slight leakage (maybe a few drops, less than an ounce) over a several hour period. a flapper is never actually 100% water tight is it? BTW most are old kohlers and one american standard vent away. and, yes, i know i should replace them all, but color matches and cost are obstacles right now.

U should Better try this one for which you'll need some dye. Some municipal water companies will provide dye capsules or tablets, but food coloring or instant coffee works fine. :cool:

Grazzy

Reaction score
thanks, tony, i never thought of using coffee. i've pretty much leak-tested these things to death now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks