Tub Drain Lever

Users who are viewing this thread

Jack M

Reaction score
I was having a problem with the tub drain staying open. I removed the plate and after some manipulation disconnected the drain mechanism. Now I am having problems getting it reconnected. The mechanism is about a foot long with a hook on the end. Are there any tricks to allow me to re-connect to the drain stopper?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have what I think, that rod was hooked to a tube. that tube gets pulled up and blocks a slot in the side of the drain to let the water out. Those things often get clogged up with crud on the sidewalls - hair, soap scum, etc. You pulled the rod out of the bracket holding the tube. Maybe someone else has a better answer...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like your plunger (sometimes called "stopper" or "bucket") is frozen, and you pulled the linkage apart trying to remove it.

If that's the case, you're going to have to take the overflow part of the drain apart to get to that stuck plunger. Once you've removed that part of the drain, you can put a torch on it to loosen up the plunger and remove it.

PS:
Just found this on the web: If your plunger is not frozen, you may be able to fish it out using this method:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/article/0,,HGTV_3659_1924110,00.html

Last edited:

tlg2325

Reaction score
Thank you!

I was getting ready to ask how to fix my sister's jacuzzi drain stopper (it won't open) and came across this thread. I went to the link and think that will help a lot!
APPRECIATE IT!!!!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually use one of these.

410329.jpg

Construct30

Reaction score
If it was stuck bad enough to pull it apart, you will probably have to take the drain apart. You have nothing to loose but a little time so try to go fishing, let us know how it turns out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks