Supporting PVC parallel to I-joist

Users who are viewing this thread

zhomes

Reaction score
Supporting PVC parallel to I-joist

normally when I run PVC drains parallel (in between) two joists I add support by cutting 2"x4" and nailing them between the joists under the pipe.

This is assuming I am running right down the middle and not up against the joist where I can secure it another way.

But doing a project now where I have I-joists. I don't like the idea of securing a 2"x4 by screwing through the thin/webbing area of the I-joist.

How do you guys secure if you running right down the middle of two I joists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason that you couldn't secure a 2" x 4" with screws shot through the trus-joists. I don't understand why you'd have trouble with that. Alternatively, punch a hole through the joist on each side, high enough to allow for a V-shaped strap which goes through the holes, then screws from the other side. PVC isn't very heavy. Strap is a lot cheaper than 2" x 4"s.

pipe-hanger-oatey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The web of an I-joist or any beam is the proper place to secure a vertical load. The web of a beam or joist carries most of the vertical load, and the flange carries the bending load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks