shallow well losing prime

Users who are viewing this thread

woodcarver

Reaction score
I dug a sand point well about 20'. we dug with a post hole digger. the kind you twist. we had pipe sections that where added as we dug. I live on sand so the digging was quite easy. all the well pipe was put together with pipe dope and teflon tape then placed down the hole. we used a drive cap and ponded the sand point about 2'-3' which gave us about 6' of water in the pipe. I have a check valve placed horizontal before the pump with a union between the check valve and the pump. I have excellent water pressure. but unless I leave the spigot running a small stream of water to keep the pump cycling fairly often, I lose my prime. I have a 20 gal. pressure tank attached just off the pump. I don't mind so much having to let the pump cycle to keep prime but it's getting cold and the water running off the spigot is gonna freeze. so I could use some advice
where my prime problem is coming from.

Thanks for any help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks