Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What faucets are your favorites?
Take the poll above, let your votes count!
Just "log-in" and take the poll.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Good idea for the poll.. Please keep us posted on results. ]

To complicate things, I might have different choices if it were differentiated on Kitchen/Lav/Tub-shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
poll

Actually the answer would change depending on whether you are referring to single handle or multiple handle faucets, or which fixture the faucet is for. Single handle I prefer Delta, two handle Price Pfister, two handle pressure balance tub/shower Price Pfister, and single handle tub, tub/shower Delta 1700 series.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I've installed/used two American Standard Hampton two-handle faucets and both have worked great for years.
I installed a Delta kitchen faucet that had a problem which was a negative but the warranty/customer service was so fantastic and the replacement has fixed the problem so I really like Delta.
I installed a PricePfister Parisa single handle faucet that really nice, the feel and action of the handle and the finish are quite impressive, so PricePfister gets my vote.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got ot go with Moen (and Delta a close second). In Northern Va. we use A LOT of Moen ( Delta 2nd) . 'Course I 've been getting a little dissapointed by the "More Plastic" parts everyone is using latley.

Plumguy

Reaction score
It is tough to make a choice in the land of plastic. I replaced a Delta 400 once that was 25 years old!! Of course it was twice if not three times the weight of the new one...Yes they went with another 400...how boring, but how dependable!!

I just finished a large 150+ home developement and the number one choice was Delta then American Standard and then Grohe. I find Delta to be the easiest to install (except shower valves Symmons#1), but I like the feel and look of Grohe! I put a Grohe (Euro style)in my kitchen two years ago and it still looks and performs like new.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Delta, grohe, moen, am standard,

Delta is the best. for all around practicality and looks...

If you want to spend a fortune on a faucet, you can still do it

with Delta... and have the best of both worlds....
-----------------------------------------------------------

Grohe is a good close second....but its pretty expensive but
not made in the USA...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Moen is next on the list, they are ok, I recently got a

real good screwing when having to buy a

moen positemp tub faucet cartridge for a total of $59.00

just a hunk of rubber and plastic....

All their stuff just feels cheap....., and is actually
sort of a pain to take apart

But at least their parts are about the same and dont change
designs very often. everything looks pretty interchangeable
--------------------------------------------------------------

under Moen their is I sppose American Standard.,,, just so so

nothing to write home about.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE CERANAMIC DESIGN ANYWAY????

----------------------------------------------------------------

then you got the Price Fister junk and the Kohler Junk......

The reason I dont like either brand is...

I simply DESPISE any faucet company that has a parts book
as large as the yellow pages....with changes in series and
design runs going back 45 years...

It seems that both of these comapnies
like to change their designs every few years
on a whim. ...Just for giggles... Lets try someting new

Then they just expect the plumber or homeowner to
somehow figure out which parts are needed for
some design that has been canned 10 -15 years ago..
from a parts book with 300+ pages in it...

It has happened to me lots of times, you simply cant
get the parts or figure out what design or series you
are looking at...or you spend the day doing it...

If you cant read the numbers off the
faucets cause they are too worn out scratched up or dirty,
you are in trouble.

under these their are the Tiawan and made over-seas junk
you see in the hardware stores for 20 bucks..

and then you got the 5 dollar kitchen faucets made of
solid plastic sold at wall mart...

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
I like American Standard, I definitely seem to be alone on this one! They have been exceptional on any warranty issues, send me boxes of replacement parts with no cost or questions asked, and have a beautiful look to them. The roman tub faucet with shower attachment is my favourite, and love getting to choose the same faucet with different handle choices. Delta and Moen tie for second.

jeffjudd

Reaction score
I think Delta faucets are junk.

I've spent 8 hrs trying to replace the seat and springs to stop a leak on a delta faucet in a house less then 5 yrs old.

I can't do it the spring seats wont sit properly to stop the leaks. now I have to pay a plumber at 65/hr to fix and miss the day of work since they refuse to work weekends.

I've contacted Delta, customer support has been non existent and their website isnt very good. I've found a half dozen other websites with more info on repairs then their own website has.

There is no good reason for a faucet to be leaking in 5 yrs.

Last edited:

jeffjudd

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
Delta is the best. for all around practicality and looks...

If you want to spend a fortune on a faucet, you can still do it

with Delta... and have the best of both worlds....
-----------------------------------------------------------

Grohe is a good close second....but its pretty expensive but
not made in the USA...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Moen is next on the list, they are ok, I recently got a

real good screwing when having to buy a

moen positemp tub faucet cartridge for a total of $59.00

just a hunk of rubber and plastic....

All their stuff just feels cheap....., and is actually
sort of a pain to take apart

But at least their parts are about the same and dont change
designs very often. everything looks pretty interchangeable
--------------------------------------------------------------

under Moen their is I sppose American Standard.,,, just so so

nothing to write home about.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE CERANAMIC DESIGN ANYWAY????

----------------------------------------------------------------

then you got the Price Fister junk and the Kohler Junk......

The reason I dont like either brand is...

I simply DESPISE any faucet company that has a parts book
as large as the yellow pages....with changes in series and
design runs going back 45 years...

It seems that both of these comapnies
like to change their designs every few years
on a whim. ...Just for giggles... Lets try someting new

Then they just expect the plumber or homeowner to
somehow figure out which parts are needed for
some design that has been canned 10 -15 years ago..
from a parts book with 300+ pages in it...

It has happened to me lots of times, you simply cant
get the parts or figure out what design or series you
are looking at...or you spend the day doing it...

If you cant read the numbers off the
faucets cause they are too worn out scratched up or dirty,
you are in trouble.

under these their are the Tiawan and made over-seas junk
you see in the hardware stores for 20 bucks..

and then you got the 5 dollar kitchen faucets made of
solid plastic sold at wall mart...

No offense. But what I saw of delta faucets you probably can make a full time living off simply replacing the seats and springs in their faucets. Which are are so difficult to install most homeowners will struggle and they are so poorly designed it takes an expert to get them to seat properly and create a seal.

Delta customer support, I will have a plumber out and have the leak fixed before they ever get back to me. Pretty much useless.

You say the Taiwan stuff, is junk, but my delta faucet didnt last 5 yrs before it started leaking. The cost of the plumber alone (65/hr) would have paid for almost a new faucet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

You are doing something wrong, because Delta is one of the easiest faucets to repair, and if you use the right parts they work the first time. Customer service answers the phone when you call and takes care of the problem immediately. (I didn't think they had an answering machine where you could leave a message and they would get back to you)

JohnD

Reaction score
My answer is simple for me, Delta. They are simple to install, simple to find parts, and simple to repair.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For Jeff....your experience is far from the norm. Most of us have found Deltas to be reliable and easy to repair. They also do have an excellent website, and customer service.

Regarding your faucet: there are 2 kinds of seats/springs ( basicall new vs old. At 5 years, you need the new, which the spring is short and tapered in shape. Seldom is is necessary to replace the ball or cartridge, but if it leaks with new seats, consider that. Also, if it is a ball type, there is the little tension adjustment spanner on top of the dome nut. That can be used to stop a persistent drip.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
jeffjudd said:
Which are are so difficult to install most homeowners will struggle and they are so poorly designed it takes an expert to get them to seat properly and create a seal.

Delta is notorious for being the most commonly repaired faucet by homeowners around, men and women alike the easiest to repair when a faucet leaks, no specific tools.
jeffjudd said:
Delta customer support, I will have a plumber out and have the leak fixed before they ever get back to me. Pretty much useless.

A customer of mine last week had a house full of Delta brass finish faucets. House was built 12 years ago and the finishes were starting to splotch and go bad. It was definitely a defect in the finish, not the progression of cleaning them over the years since the markings where at odd places on the spout and on the bell of the handle.

The customer was shipped 3 Brilliance 2 handle brass faucets for replacement and was also given the trim kit for a roman tub faucet. Didn't cost a single dime to him and his wife.

All of this totalled over a $1000.00 and all this customer has invested in this whole matter is my time to replace them all. Pretty good deal I would say.

jeffjudd said:
You say the Taiwan stuff, is junk, but my delta faucet didnt last 5 yrs before it started leaking. The cost of the plumber alone (65/hr) would have paid for almost a new faucet.
<< Bet the plumber didn't even check static pressure before replacing the faucet. hint hint

Honestly, you jumped the gun and your inability to repair a Delta faucet makes me think your opinion on the subject matter isn't what it's cracked up to be. Time for plumbing 101 and a little bit of patience.

Last edited:

Racer814

Reaction score
Like...Moen...Delta...Grohe

Dislike...Price Pfister

Detest...American Standard

Best support..IMO...Moen...then Delta

jeffjudd

Reaction score
I never claimed to be more then a homeowner attempting to repair a faucet for the first time. Just because you’re an expert doesn’t mean my experience will not be of benefit to someone. Delta has done nothing to make me believe Delta faucets are better. For a plumber repairing faucets, perhaps yes. They have a handful of parts (spring, spring seat, stem assembly) to do most repairs. These are used in most faucets. They are simple to install once you have done it a few times. I spoke to 3 different plumbers over the weekend, they all thought delta was the best. I’m just giving my experience with delta.

My house was built late 2002, its less then 5 yrs old. I have a separate shower and bath. This faucet was the least used in the house. It’s a whirlpool tub, and the most attractive faucet in the house. There is no good reason for this faucet to be leaking. The leak was substantial and I had to cut the water off Saturday night and Sunday only turn it on intermittently.

I visited delta’s website and their diagram was small and poor quality. I could not see how to properly orient the springs and spring seats. This does matter and is important. They did not provide a description of the installation.

I called delta Monday morning while I waited for the plumber to arrive. I tried one last time to fix the leak with the seats and springs I had purchased. She offered to send me a replacement stem assembly for $17.50 + shipping and handling. It would arrive in 3 days. Considering my faucet wasn’t 5 years old yet, I didn’t consider this generous. I bought the house 8 months ago, so perhaps that was the reason being a 2nd owner I would have to pay for repair parts. She told me the correct way to install the spring and spring seat. However she told me I needed an additional piece to go in the half moon of the stem assembly. She gave me a p/n for this. I did not need this part and it did not come with my faucet. She was wrong and the plumber proved that. I was not impressed by the customer support. I sent 3 emails to delta over the weekend, and they never replied. They did answer my call Monday morning.

The plumber seated the spring and seal as I did. The faucet still leaked. He then replaced the stem assembly and the leak stopped. I had attempted to replace the stem assembly but the parts were not available. Only a plumbing supply house carried it. I brought the stem assembly to home depot and ace hardware they didn’t carry the part. I don’t think delta repair parts are easier to get. Maybe for a plumber who doesn’t need to carry many parts to repair delta faucets there is an advantage with delta.

That doesn’t change the fact that 1) most faucets last longer then 5 yrs 2) delta didn’t offer to reimburse me for the repair parts as they state they will in their guaranty 3) the parts (stem assembly) are not carried at any hardware stores in my area and are not easier to find then other brands 4) delta doesn’t provide information with the repair parts to install them. A simple diagram or descriptive sentence with the springs and seats I bought would have been sufficient.

Which goes in first the spring or the spring seat? One spring end is narrower then the other, which end goes in first? Its shaped like a cup it makes a difference. Those are 2 basic questions that anyone installing them for the first time needs to know. It could damage the seat or the stem assembly if they are not installed correctly. Delta didn’t provide info with the repair parts or on their website.

Here is my experience. You will need to go to a plumbing supply house to find the delta parts you need to make a repair. Delta is not going to provide any instructions with the repair parts to install them. You will need to either talk to them on the phone, or be very careful when you remove the seat and springs to remember how to install them correctly later. Delta won’t reimburse the cost of the parts unless you can show you are the original purchaser.

I don’t see how delta faucets are then better then other faucets. You can find replacement parts for most faucets at a plumbing supply house. Most faucet companies are going to provide repair parts and instructions. You pay for repair parts unless you are the original owner. Most faucets will last 5 years without repairs. So why are delta faucets considered better?

Last edited:

Racer814

Reaction score
sorry about your bad experience with repairing your faucet..fact of the matter is that nothing lasts as long as it should and even the better companies are using cheaper parts that are manufactured overseas...you can take that one up with your congressman....any manufacturer can have a defect even a normally good one like Delta..it's been my experience that Delta's customer support is no better or worse than any other manufacturer......but I have found them to produce a good product
most of the time

and I can't speak for anyone else but I don't base my preference of a brand on how few parts I have to stock on my van....in fact when I built my first home 18 years ago my supplier gave me all my fixtures for free..and I chose to install Delta

Billonion

CAD Guy / PCB Designer
Reaction score
I've installed a few Delta faucets and shower valves. They rarely leak and are very easy to fix. My current home has Delta faucets and Moen shower valves (my old house had all Delta faucets and valves). The Moens are OK, but I still like the Delta better. Currently having a problem tightening inlet fittings on Moen shower valve to stop leaking - major PIA.
Billw

Last edited:

nbahm

Reaction score
What about Danze? I have a whole house full of Danze fixtures with no problems...yet. (knock, knock....ouch;) ) They seem to be well built (all brass, no plastic, ceramic valves, etc.) Just curious why they were left off the list.

cbl

Reaction score
I like the Moens when they come from a real plumbing supplier. HD sells the same kit I like to use, but their version (same part numbers) is mostly plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks