radiators only bleeding air, no water

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbbob

Reaction score
Hi - i've been noticing our (hot water) radiators have been in need of bleeding (cold at the top, hot at bottom) so I went ahead and did it yesterday. I shut off the system, turned off the fill line and bled the radiators. I started on the downstairs units and they bled air to water just fine. Then I went upstairs and only got air...loads of it. Almost every radiator on the 2nd floor bled air for about 15 seconds, but water never came. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I decided to turn everything back on and see if it would refill properly.

Now that it's back on, I feel some warmth in the radiators upstairs, but they are generally pretty cold. My wife is complaining that it's freezing in the bedrooms (it is) so I need to figure out why I can't get the upstairs to bleed properly.

Did I screw up by starting downstairs? Should I drain and then refill the whole system?

I could really use some help here. Thanks, Matt

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You need water flowing in, in order to push the air out. You do have a working pressure reducer feeding this system, right?

plumbbob

Reaction score
ok, fill line is open...still only getting air

So I shut off the system, left the fill line open and still only get air coming out (upstairs).

I looked at the fill line and there is a B&G reducing valve (model 110192) with a 'flip lever' on the top. It seems that water only enters the system when I flip the lever up.

Inbound water pressure is about 40 PSI, and I have a booster that takes it to 65 PSI.

Is that valve working normally?

Thanks, Matt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks