Sand in well

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeano

Reaction score
Have a question
Our well is 52 meters deep with a pipe that is 5 inches on the inside. We have a submersible pump- 3 hp- high volume- low pressure. We use this well to fill a pond and irrigate from the pond. The well has developed some sand. Is there a filter or what can anyone suggest?

Thank you

Sandy

R

Rancher

However the sand will settle out in the pond, I think what "Sandy" is asking for is a pre-filter to the pump. And as I have answered on another site, the onlything I know of is the bag that is sometimes used when a submersible is put in a lake.

I wouldn't use one down a well.

Rancher

Jeano

Reaction score
Pump Protection seperator

wetboots-
Have you used the Lakos ? Are there other brands?
Thank you for suggesting them. Since we are in Costa Rica- anything we buy will not be returnable- the logistics are a minor nightmare at best but we would purchase and ship a Pump Protection seperator. None of the well drillers or companies selling submersible pumps are familiar with this type of equipment. It is very difficult to find people who are knowlegable about the products they are selling.

Thank you

Sandy

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you install a filter, you can stop the sand, but nothing is going to protect your pump from getting eaten up by the sand. I would try to redevelop the well and try to stop the sand problem at it's source. The seperator Boots suggested works great as long as the sand is coarse enough. They will not work on very fine sand.

Rancher thought you were pumping from the pond I think, cause that's the lake strainer he showed the pic of.

bob...

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I have not personally used the Lakos separators, since my sandy wells were not enough of a problem to require more than a strainer. I think they might also be had in a plastic material, which would cut down on shipping costs. The concept is fairly straightforward, and seems only to depend on matching your actual pump flow when choosing the correct separator (you don't go by pipe size) - you must also be certain that it is heavier-than-water sand, and not some other material, like mica, which may not drop down quickly enough for the centrifugal concept to work.

Understand that this won't shield the submersible pump from the sand. It only is intended to remove sand from the output. There may come a point where your pump will need replaced, and you will have an opportunity to select something that can take sandy water.

R

Rancher

Rancher thought you were pumping from the pond I think, cause that's the lake strainer he showed the pic of.
No I think I understand the problem, but do not understand the reason someone would want to filter water that is going into a pond...

So therefore assumed (and yes I know what that means) that they were trying to filter out the sand before the submersible pump so it wouldn't damage the pump.

Sandy? What are you trying to accomplish?

Does the sand not settle out in the pond?

Rancher

R

Rancher

Ahhhh, OK Sandy answered the question on the "other" pump forum (not Speedbumps).

Here is her problem:

"Has anyone used a Pump Protection seperator such as a Lakos or another brand that stipulates sand removal and protection for submersible pumps ? Anything we use because of the small amount of sand in our well will have to be designed for "pump protection" therefore installed before the pump."

Which is why I suggested the pond screen.

Or you could buy a fine screen and wrap it around the submersible, tyewrap it in place and silicone the ends. You can get strainer grade brass cloth at www.mcmaster.com, it'll cost less than $10, you can also get stainless steel or just about any other metal. Do a search on "brass screen" to find it.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
The "Other Forum" I thought there were only two, Terrys and Mine.:)

I really wouldn't recommend wrapping the pump inlet with screen. That could easily plug and starve the pump of water which could do more damage than good. Submersible pumps weren't meant to be pulling a vacuum and that is what would happen with the screen.

My lake strainer works great if the sand is large enough, but it sounds like Sandy's sand is fine enough to go through my screen. I have installed subs in the Lake Strainer for half a dozen customers who wanted to install a sub in a pond or lake etc. Works great for that application.

bob...

R

Rancher

If Sandy's sand is small enough to go thru the lake strainer then it should'nt do much damage to the impellers and would settle out when pumped into the pond.

I wouldn't put anything before a submersible pump.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks