Pre-Charged Pressure Tank Recomendation

Users who are viewing this thread

RVGregoryZ

Reaction score
Hello,

WoW! I am glad I found this forum. I've been doing a lot of reading, and I really think there are some great folks posting replies here. THANKS in advance.

So, would any of you Pros out there like to make a recommendation on which tanks are better then the others and why you think so?

Here is my situation;
I've never had a well, and I have just bought a property that has a well as it's only source of water.

I am not sure what the condition of the well is, as I have not yet taken over the property. The property is part of an estate sell off. So, the realtors have little information to give me. They have told me that there is a Submersible pump in the well, and that it was new about 5 years ago. However, the land has been vacant for the past 3 years. They have also told me that the tank was stolen, so I know it, and probably the pump, will have to be replaced.

After some light research, I am considering a Flotec pre-charged tank, but am not sure what size to get. If I understand things right, I will first need to know how much the well can produce. Right??

The use of the well will be for myself and maybe one other in an RV, so the amount of water usage should be low compared to the use in an average home. However, I do plan to keep the lawn and landscaping alive and growing!

The reason I like the Flotec, is because the water does not make contact with the metal of the tank, and I believe this will increase the life of it.

I am sure that I am looking forward to a lot of grief, but I am looking forward to the challenges of getting this well system operational.

I am also looking forward to your responses and opinions.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
After some light research, I am considering a Flotec pre-charged tank, but am not sure what size to get. If I understand things right, I will first need to know how much the well can produce. Right??

yup

The use of the well will be for myself and maybe one other in an RV, so the amount of water usage should be low compared to the use in an average home. However, I do plan to keep the lawn and landscaping alive and growing!
goes by fixtures. you don't want to have a prob with you washing car and some one taking a shower

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pump is still installed it is POSSIBLE that it will still pump.

If you install a 3/4" or 1" valve, and a pressure gauge on the line between the pump and the valve, you can test the pump for flow; which will help you decide how big a tank you require.

Adjust the valve about half open. Start the pump and adjust the valve until the pressure is about 40 psi. Then, using a 5 gallon bucket and a watch with sweep second hand, determine the flow rate in gallons per minute.

The tank should have an actual volume at least 3 times the GPM capacity of the pump, and larger is better. That will give you a pumping time of about one minute.

You can determine the size of the motor on the pump if someone has a clamp-on ammeter to measure the current when it is running.

The first job of someone who owns a well is to learn how they work so you can diagnose problems that you will have from time to time. Then, get the tools you will need. You must have at least a multimeter and the clamp-on ammeter usually has multimeter capability. You can check the ones on display at HD even if you buy something somewhere else.

RVGregoryZ

Reaction score
Thanks Bob.

Simple enough. I was wondering how I was going to figure out the volume of the well. Why didn't I think of that? ;)

Ok. Tanks size should be at least 3 times greater then the GPM. Got it.

I'm currently in Cali, and will be taking over the property in Missouri early May. So, this is my chance to gain information. The application of such information to knowledge will be another topic. :D

You can determine the size of the motor on the pump if someone has a clamp-on ammeter to measure the current when it is running.
I've been wondering how I was going to figure out the type of pump too. Besides the obvious of the pump being two or three wires. I would like to know how this works. but I don't want to change this feed.

So far, I've not gotten any comments on the preferences of tank types.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I personally like Flexcon, next to that is Well-X-Trol. Flotec is a big box tank, and will give you grief if you buy it. All bladder tanks have a rubber bag of some sort that keeps the water and air separated, so the Flotec does not have a corner on that market.

You can use a small tank, like the PC-66 if you install a Cycle Stop Valve in line before the tank. This will make tank size a non issue and give you constant pressure as a bonus.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks