Laundry Room Smell - Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Grumpy26

Reaction score
I have seen posts on sewage smells, but I am having a garbage type smell (maybe rotten eggs) in our basement when I do laundry. We just moved into the house 2 months ago, and we stated noticing it wen we did laundry. The smell is so strong it reaches the kitchen upstairs.

I was convinced there was a dead mouse under the washing machine, but we had a repairman out, and he didn't find anything wrong with the machine. It smells like it is coming from under the utility tub the machine drains into, but it isn't coming directly out of the drains.

I don't know what to do, and I am driving my husband crazy. I am in hysterics every time I do laundry.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like you might have a cracked pipe or the drain trap is not right. I would look to see if the floor is damp under the sink and check the pipes for holes. Sometimes when the drain has an odor problem it will stink more from hot water because of the steam. If you could post a pic of the drain under the sink that could help a little.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Look around for your floor drain and pour 2 gallons of water in it and see if the smell goes away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks