AAV for Island Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

arsey

Reaction score
I am remodeling my kitchen and would like to install the sink and dishwasher in an island. The sink is currently drained and vented on a single pipe that is separate from any other plumbing in the house. I am wondering if I can cut the pipe and remove the upper portion (ie the vent) and drain my sink and dishwasher into the bottom half using an AAV for a vent. This would mean that there is no actual vent on this part of the system that would go through the roof. Thanks in advance.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Are AAV's legal under your code? Some areas of the country have strict codes that only allow them in manufactured housing. In other areas, the code allows them, and in yet other areas, there is no code.

If your code allows it, and you have a sufficient vent on your house for the plumbing system, then you can use it.

arsey

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the code is here. I live in Canada and I'm pretty sure it's the same for the whole country. A plumber mentioned using one to me before so I would assume they are ok but I will have to double check. I've tried to attach a couple of pics...one is the current setup and the other is what I would like to do...

Attachments

• plumb1.jpg
    plumb1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 731
  • plumb2.jpg
    plumb2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 839

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Nope - AAV's are OK but you still have to have a system vent on the house. You have to leave the 4" alone.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Herk stated, your house must have a vent through the roof. AAVs do work, but they must be accessible because since they are a mechanical device, they can/will fail.

arsey

Reaction score
Well I just took the sink out and where it tees into the 4" cracked off. Totally corroded. I think I'm going to take out the 4" and put in a 2" PVC drain/vent that will join into the old 4" in the basement. So if I was to leave the system as it is (except with 2" instead of 4"), when I move the sink to the island will I need an AAV at all?

arsey

Reaction score
Herc and Garry, thanks for your replies. I checked it out today and found out that AAV would not pass code here. I am going to go the piped route for the vent I guess. I drew a basic diagram of what I'm planning and was wondering if there is a minimum distance required between where the vent joins the main stack and where the drain joins it (or if there is anything else wrong with the plan).

Attachments

• plumb1.JPG
    plumb1.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 779

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Based upon what you've said here, I'm guessing that there must be at least one other main vent through the roof on your house, and that the pipe in question is not solely responsible for venting the system.

The last drawing looks fine. Our code says (IIRC) that an island vent must be vented to the nearest available wall. The drain length is not important as long as it is properly graded, has cleanouts as per code.

arsey

Reaction score
That's correct, there is another main vent/drain in the bathroom and a secondary vent on the bathroom sink. Thanks for the help...I think I'm on the right track now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks