Sump pump discharge lines

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
I am replacing a sump pump as part of a basement remodel. The old pump is plumbed with a 1.5" PVC line a couple of feet up to the check valve. From the valve to the outside it's 1" copper.

Is this a code violation or a bad idea and why? I don't want to charge the client for extra work (to replace the copper piping) if it's not necessary.

dx

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There may not be any code governing that pump installation, but in general the manufacturer would probably recommend not to reduce a discharge line, and 1" sounds small for a sump pump of any reasonable capacity. I suppose it 1" was adequate for the rating of the pump, then starting 1½ and reducing to 1" would not hurt.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Patrick, as I stated in the original post, the 1" copper line goes outside. Our local codes do not allow sumps to be discharged into the sewer lines.

This pump is very small and rarely needed. I can't think of any reason to replace the 1" copper pipe, which is in an awkward corner. But I wanted a reality check from the pros.

dx

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Oh right missed that word "outside" my bad.

I would repipe it to the proper 1.5"so you get your full discharge. You might have a slow season or two but that one time flood season will over whelm your pump fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks