Surface mounted box

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have to have a surface mounted junction box over a set of cabinets. Besides handy boxes or outdoor boxes, are there any others that would work? The box is visible only for tall people and certain angles. There are 3 14/2 cables that need to be clamped into the box from the rear. Thanks.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A 4" square box w/a blank cover will give more room than a handy box.

Don't forget to ground it.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I once mounted one on the top of the cabinet back against the wall behind the cabinet. It won't be visible unless someone is taller than the cabinet. If the wire is coming from the wall it is pretty easy to put an old-work box in the wall.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I once mounted one on the top of the cabinet back against the wall behind the cabinet. It won't be visible unless someone is taller than the cabinet. If the wire is coming from the wall it is pretty easy to put an old-work box in the wall.

The wires needed to come out, and now do, between those double plates right below the beam. It's about 9'4"" high. I didn't think the inspector would have approved hogging out for a box just there so I opted for a surface mounted box but didn't think through the appearance factor. Anyway, it's done. My wife says she'll put one of her ornamental baskets on top of the cabinet in front of the box. Problem solved!
IM000593.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks