Recirculator works to prevent frozen pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy Ring

Reaction score
Thanks to this board, I found out about hot water recirculators.

Since I have now survived one winter, I want to report back that a recirculator seems to be a good last ditch solution for pipes susceptible to freezing. I have a bathroom addition on my house made of concrete block. The pipes supplying it are inaccessible without major demo and will freeze in cold weather. In past winters, I had to leave a faucet dripping on the coldest nights to prevent freezing (which sometimes wasn't enough). This fall I installed a Grundfos Comfort Series recirculator and it worked great all winter. I wasn't interested in the "instant" hot feature, but just the fact that it drew hot water and fed it back through the cold which prevented either pipe from freezing. Am now going to turn the recirculator off for the summer, but wanted to pass along my success in case anyone else faces a similar problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks