Easy standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In my basement I have an old cast iron sink that is properly drained and vented to cast iron pipe.

I will be replacing this rusty old sink with a new utility sink. No problems there.

Currently, my washing machine drains into the sink, and one possibility is to continue draining it into the new sink.

But I am thinking about possible ways to make the set-up look neater.

I would like to install a standpipe. I understand that I would need to vent this. I have seen Terry's diagram about how I could do this and vent it. However, I do not really want to do it this way, given that I have iron pipe. Rather than go to that trouble I would opt to continue draining into the sink.

But I have also just read about Air Admittance Valves.

So here is my question.

If I plumbed in a stand pipe, with a p-trap and an AAV and then joined this to before the P-trap on the utility sink (which is normally vented) would this be OK?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may not work...AAV's allow air in, not out (unless they're broken). A washing machine pushes a lot of water out, creating a big air pressure wave. A normal vent would allow that to equalize, an AAV wouldn't. Just my 2-cents...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks