Rough Opening for Door

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'm planning to use some doors for my remodel project that are not pre-hung. (They were in my storage space and match the rest of the doors in the house). What would be the proper size rough opening for the framing? I assume I need enough space for the door jambs and some room for shimming. What would be the standard door jamb thickness? How much room do I need for shimming?

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Typically you would add 2" in width and height, but you should have the actual frame on hand, or specs for it, to be sure.

A typical 36 X 80 door would be roughed at 38 X 82

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
What would be the standard door jamb thickness?

Usually 3/4", and with the inch Jimbo mentioned allowed for them.

How much room do I need for shimming?

The 1" allowance all-around should be more than enough unless the "rough framing" is a bit too "rough" and way-out-of-square.

Use tapered shims in pairs with one coming in from each side so the net result is flat unless the lumber around your opening is twisted. Also, be sure to shim directly behind the hinges, if necessary, and to screw at least the top hinge all the way into the framing to keep the door edges plumb/parallel with the jamb.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jimbo is correct. 36 inch door gets a 38" RO.

35 3/4" door
+ 3/4" jamb
+ 3/4" jamb
+3/16" gap on strike and hinge side.
=37 5/8"

the 38" RO gives you 3/8" of play.

where do you get 1"?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Oh, maybe it is something as simple as "all-around" being mistaken for "overall", eh?!

Overall, we are talking about allowing an inch all-around ... yet I did recently frame a wall and install a 4'x6' window in my new workshop with only 1/4" clearance overall!

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Oh, maybe it is something as simple as "all-around" being mistaken for "overall", eh?!

Overall, we are talking about allowing an inch all-around ... yet I did recently frame a wall and install a 4'x6' window in my new workshop with only 1/4" clearance overall!

As opposed to the 3/8ths AZContractor just explained...?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
When you mentioned 1" all around and rough framing way out of square in the same breath it sounded like you were talking about shim space.

Ah, okay. I did not speak clearly while meaning to say 1" all-around the actual size of the door should leave enough room for jamb, shims and squaring, overall.

As opposed to the 3/8ths AZContractor just explained...?

No, openings for windows are figured differently, but yes, 3/8" could have been okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks