(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My bathroom remodel, WC venting and waste prevension plan

Default My bathroom remodel, WC venting and waste prevension plan

Okay, I've been watching this forum for awhile, and many questions have been answered. I haven't seen my particular question. I am doing a bathroom with laundry in my house. I get a little confused with the venting requirements on the toilet and how to connect it into the waste. The sink and laundry drain and venting, I get. I'm doing those based on a lot of post reading. However, because I don't want to cut into my nice 10x2 joists, I was hoping to not have to vent the toilet. It is within 6' of the venting, as this is a small room. But would I have to worry about the solid waste causing a problem as I enter the main stack?

Attached is a pretty crude drawing, the sink and laundry are vented/drained properly. I'm just concerned with how the toilet joins up and is vented. The whole room is 7' x 10'

Thank you so much!
    -Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh, since someone will ask, this is in Missouri.

is that a top view? it looks a bit like both a side view and a top view.

what fittings are you using? Tee-Wye, San-Tee, long sweep, etc.

david

It is a little of both. I don't have the fancy software and I stink at drawing.

For the WC, it will be a 3" long sweep headed downward. The washing and sink will be a 2" long sweep and will be vented.

The part I'm having confusion on is where the toilet, sink, and washing machine drain meet. Both the sink and washing drain are vented, I'm hoping to get away with not venting the toilet.

I'm now thinking it might be best of I have a + shaped 3" fitting with two 2" sanitarys coming into it from the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar411 View Post
    I don't have the fancy software
    Want some? It's free from the good folks at Google, and real easy to learn:

http://www.sketchup.com/

If you've been lurking, then you've seen Nelson's posts - it's what he's been using.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

So I was stuck in traffic for an hour, and this is what I came up with. The part I wonder if I'm okay is in yellow
    Last edited by Fubar411; 11-15-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added an image

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    Want some? It's free from the good folks at Google, and real easy to learn:

http://www.sketchup.com/

If you've been lurking, then you've seen Nelson's posts - it's what he's been using.
    I have seen Nelson's posts. Pretty cool 3d stuff. I don't know if I have enough time to learn the software.

I called a plumber today to ask if I could buy an hour of his time to show him what I wanted to do. Haven't heard back yet...is that an odd request?
    Last edited by Fubar411; 11-16-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added an image

I changed my image above. I have to get started tomorrow, does it look okay the way I have my waste coming together and not having my toilet vented?

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar411
    does it look okay the way I have my waste coming together and not having my toilet vented?
    No. I wouldn't claim it or expect it to work. I don't know what the codes are like in Missouri, but here you'd be told to rip it out and start over.

You have to vent the toilet. I'm unclear as to why you don't want to drill a 2" x 10," or why you don't want to vent the toilet.

Good point, just laziness on my part I guess. I had read that toilets didn't need as much venting since it was so close to the main stack.

Can I vent with a 2" pipe if the drain is 3"? Would I just have a 2" coming up off the 3" drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar411 View Post
    Good point, just laziness on my part I guess. I had read that toilets didn't need as much venting since it was so close to the main stack.

Can I vent with a 2" pipe if the drain is 3"? Would I just have a 2" coming up off the 3" drain?
    Yes pull a 2" vent for the toilet
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

So I'm okay with the 3x3x2x2 wye sanitary +?

I think this will work, I'll post real pictures as I go, since this is pretty simple.

okay, here is the dry fit for the interesting part... Do I have the right fitting (going the right way?) for venting the toilet? All I could find was a sanitary fitting.

do not use a tee wye like that it must be turned or be wrong
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Default vent

The tee is wrong, and the sanitary cross will not approved in the majority of areas.