Bathroom Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Barneyn

Reaction score
I am remodelling my bath room and have to relocate all the plumbing. I have 2 questions. Does the sewer vent need to be straight to the roof or can it be on an angle. I need to move the vent over 5 feet from the original location and then join back in the attic. Second question is how far can the toilet be from the vent. Is 10 feet too far.

Thanks

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
1) The vent can be offset in an angle so long as the tube always has an upward slope (this will allow any accumulated moisture in the drain lines to drain down into the sewer system).

2) The max allowable distance for a toilet from the vent varies with everything else from region to region, so I would have to say that my best "guesstimate" for you is 6Ft.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Please give your State. The plumbing code is a bit different across the Country.

You need to also give pipe sizes. We all like a good pic. Many also enjoy a good sketch.

Barneyn

Reaction score
I am in Ontario Canada. I was told that I can go 10 feet max from the vent as long as I have a straight line with a 4.0" pipe. One bend from the toilet and I am at the septic tank.

Thanks for the info.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would bet that would be just fine. If you found out 10' is ok then it is fine. The 10' is from the closet bend to the vent opening. If you keep it straight and simple you should be fine.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Hello Barneyn,

I am in BC, and our code is modified from the national pluming code. I am not sure if ON follows the national code or its own version. But for our code, we are allowed a max distance of 3m and a max drop of 1m from the water closet to the stack. We are also allowed a maximum total change in direction from the stack of 225 degrees (read that as you are allowed 2 90s in your fixture drain and a 45 at the stack connection if you used a wye).

Also I am not sure if you are required to use 4" as you mentioned, we are only required to use a 3" line for a water closet. Some guys will run a 4" line just so they can use a toilet flange that will slide right into the 4" line for convenience.

Barneyn

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. This is an excellent web site for DIY people. This site is now bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks again for all the great advise and info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks