Frost proof faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

howarddor

Reaction score
I have a new frost proof faucet and it continues to run a small stream when shut off. I'm sure of the inner works of a frost free. Any ideas why it won't completely shut off. Howard

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Frost free wall hydrant use washers same as a compression cartridge, over time the washer molds to the seat and wears out.
You should be able to remove the nut holding the shaft and replace the washer, but it's not easy most of the time.
Most frost free's are threaded into a fitting in the wall you may want to replace the unit if you can, it would be easier.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
First question is, what quality of faucet? If you went down to the hardware store and got a junker, then you got a junker. If it's good quality, did you solder it? Or is it a thread-on?

For most of these type faucets, the problem would be a rock or piece of debris holding the washer off the seat. Or it could simply be a manufacturing defect. If soldered, it could be a drip of solder that got between seat and washer.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Or a burnt washer? It sits pretty close to the end if you soldered.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If it old I would go for a replace every time. If is rather new pull it apart and replace the washer and see if the seat is ok. The seat is the part the washer sits on.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Frost free wall hydrant use washers same as a compression cartridge, over time the washer molds to the seat and wears out.
You should be able to remove the nut holding the shaft and replace the washer, but it's not easy most of the time.
Most frost free's are threaded into a fitting in the wall you may want to replace the unit if you can, it would be easier.

The quarter turn hose bibs do not use washers, and most hose bibs are not threaded to the piping system, most are soldered.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Some inexpensive frost-free hydrants use an O-ring instead of a compression washer, and I've seen split O-rings in them.

howarddor

Reaction score
Some inexpensive frost-free hydrants use an O-ring instead of a compression washer, and I've seen split O-rings in them.

This is a new 1/4 turn. I removed the stem and did not see anything that was apparent. It did have 2 O rings on it about 1 inch apart. I did not inspect them very close. Howard

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
A quarter turn frost-proof. I have never seen one of them. Wish I had one.

howarddor

Reaction score
1/4 turn frost proof

This faucet is a B&K 1/4 turn faucet purchased at Home Depot. Lowes also has an American Valve 1/4 turn around $25. I am going to remove the stem again and see if the O rings might be cracked. I have to do something before hard freeze. Thanks for the replies from all. Will let u know if I find the answer to the problem. Also was not soldered. Threaded into female connection.

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen sillcocks that are female that get threaded onto a brass nipple or male adapter. If it does have male threads then it sounds like a boiler drain acting like a sillcock. I would not waste alot of time dealing with it and just replace it with a new one. What is your time worth to you. What is going to take longer hunting down parts or spin it off and replace with new.

howarddor

Reaction score
I have a new frost proof faucet and it continues to run a small stream when shut off. I'm sure of the inner works of a frost free. Any ideas why it won't completely shut off. Howard

Problem solved. Even though this was a new out of the box faucet,it was defective. I brought a new one and just exchanged the stem and the water shut off completely. Thanks for all the advice. HOWARD

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks