(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Frost proof faucets

Hybrid View

Default Frost proof faucets

I have a new frost proof faucet and it continues to run a small stream when shut off. I'm sure of the inner works of a frost free. Any ideas why it won't completely shut off. Howard

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Frost free wall hydrant use washers same as a compression cartridge, over time the washer molds to the seat and wears out.
    You should be able to remove the nut holding the shaft and replace the washer, but it's not easy most of the time.
    Most frost free's are threaded into a fitting in the wall you may want to replace the unit if you can, it would be easier.

First question is, what quality of faucet? If you went down to the hardware store and got a junker, then you got a junker. If it's good quality, did you solder it? Or is it a thread-on?

For most of these type faucets, the problem would be a rock or piece of debris holding the washer off the seat. Or it could simply be a manufacturing defect. If soldered, it could be a drip of solder that got between seat and washer.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Or a burnt washer? It sits pretty close to the end if you soldered.

If it old I would go for a replace every time. If is rather new pull it apart and replace the washer and see if the seat is ok. The seat is the part the washer sits on.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut9199 View Post
    Frost free wall hydrant use washers same as a compression cartridge, over time the washer molds to the seat and wears out.
    You should be able to remove the nut holding the shaft and replace the washer, but it's not easy most of the time.
    Most frost free's are threaded into a fitting in the wall you may want to replace the unit if you can, it would be easier.
    The quarter turn hose bibs do not use washers, and most hose bibs are not threaded to the piping system, most are soldered.

Some inexpensive frost-free hydrants use an O-ring instead of a compression washer, and I've seen split O-rings in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    Some inexpensive frost-free hydrants use an O-ring instead of a compression washer, and I've seen split O-rings in them.
    This is a new 1/4 turn. I removed the stem and did not see anything that was apparent. It did have 2 O rings on it about 1 inch apart. I did not inspect them very close. Howard

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

A quarter turn frost-proof. I have never seen one of them. Wish I had one.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by howarddor View Post
    I have a new frost proof faucet and it continues to run a small stream when shut off. I'm sure of the inner works of a frost free. Any ideas why it won't completely shut off. Howard
    Problem solved. Even though this was a new out of the box faucet,it was defective. I brought a new one and just exchanged the stem and the water shut off completely. Thanks for all the advice. HOWARD