Can PVC be glued to ABS?

Users who are viewing this thread

LT1GMC

Electrician
Reaction score
In a project to relocate my WC flange for a new toilet, my old piping is ABS and only PVC and CPVC is readily available locally. I cannot get a good answer here as to whether I can successfully (using a multi-purpose solvent and glue) glue PVC to my old ABS. Since the joint is located between 1st and second story, I want no compromises. Thank you for any replies!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, PVC and ABS "glues" are not glues as such. They are a solvent that welds the pipe and fittings. Since PVC and ABS are chemically different, the solvent for one does not work with the other. You can use a no-hub coupler.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc/abs

Our gas utility used a "transition" glue to join their PVC to the old ABS gas lines, before they went to polyethylene, and if they trusted it for high pressure gas I think it will work on "no pressure" wastes as long as the directions are followed.

King3244

Reaction score
I just the other day saw a welding solvent meant for just that application at the hardware store.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
yes, it can

it dont really matter that much because it has absloutley no pressure on it.

go to any hardware store and you will find some oatey brands of glue that state right on the lable that they are good for all forms of plastic.
The glues I have uses usually come in teh color ORANGE..

another good suggestion----slop it on thick in both the female socket and the male pipe too. That way you really cant lose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks