Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Coronet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

maddfrog

Reaction score
"flushable" wipes?

I have a couple of small ones and my wife likes to use Kandoo 'flushable' wipes. They may be flushable, but they often slow down the toilets in our house, especially if more than one is used. It's quickly remedied with a plunger, but it's a hassle nonetheless. They have only stopped completely once or twice.

Can't wait until my wife thinks the kiddos are old enough to use regular paper... In my opinion, they're already old enough. never used those wipes when I was a kid and I turned out just fine (at least I think so. others beg to differ)

rightman

Reaction score
Toilet paper dissolvency - tests

I have seen few articles on this, but in reality, I am having difficulties trying to understand the process to get the test information: how it is being conducted. They claim Charmin Ultra takes 9 seconds etc to dissolve. I have placed the tissue in a glass bowl for timing and I see the tissue not dissolving unless I stir it and touch the tissue. I have tried stirring the water with a wood stick etc, without touching the tissue and after few hours, still not making a cloud in my water with the paper. Please, advise how they conducted this test.

cstdenis

Reaction score
after a few hours?!?

rightman said:
I have seen few articles on this, but in reality, I am having difficulties trying to understand the process to get the test information: how it is being conducted. They claim Charmin Ultra takes 9 seconds etc to dissolve. I have placed the tissue in a glass bowl for timing and I see the tissue not dissolving unless I stir it and touch the tissue. I have tried stirring the water with a wood stick etc, without touching the tissue and after few hours, still not making a cloud in my water with the paper. Please, advise how they conducted this test.

After a few hours?!? LOFL about this poll and the comments. I use the toilet paper which makes my rear feel good - charmin ultra. We did a test of about 5 different papers to see which one we liked best - didn't test the clogging issue though - guess it isn't a player in our house - Have a toto toilet - no problems.

ShinerBurke

Reaction score
We use Scott 1000 and have never had an issue.

The whole reason we started using it is because we bought an RV and I got tired of paying the premium for "special" RV toilet papet. After talking with long time RV's, many of which are full timers, they suggested we try Scott 1000. We did and haven't had any issues in the RV toilets or the toilets in the house since switching over. The Scott 1000 even has safe for RV septic systems" printed on the label and costs a whole lot less than the "special" paper for RV toilets.

bk

Reaction score
Problem with toilet paper?

When we built our 1st house in 1973 in a rural subdivision with septic systems, I had always lived in the city, so my father-in-law taught me the septic system rules: use only 1-ply TP and only use white because the colored dyes kill the bacteria that break down the sludge in the system. We followed his rules and we were the only house in our section of the subdivision that never had a septic problem in 33 yrs.

Several folks have mentioned the Scott 1000 rolls. That's what we were using until I discovered the Walgreens Big Roll which is identical but less expensive. Of all the items available through Walgreens, the Big Roll is their top-selling product.

minixmush

Reaction score
bidets solved my TP clogging problems

I just purchased a bidet a few months ago. With bidets, you don't have to worry about silly things such as the "dissolvency" properties of toilet paper. I use far less toilet paper, if any at all, which is good news for all my fellow spoiled Charmin Ultra users. :) Plus, the experience of cleaning myself is so much more enjoyable AND its environmentally friendly. Everyone in Asia and Europe uses bidets, I'm not sure why it hasn't hit the American scene yet. I guess it's because people are naturally turned off by the thought of water spraying down there?? Not sure.

Anyways, I have an older toilet that used to clog all the time. Since I use less TP, it hasn't clogged since. No joke. Plus, my toilet looks like an upgraded version of itself because the new bidet seat is so much prettier than my old seat:

http://terrylove.biz/12-bidet

I ended up buying this one because it got such good reviews. I love it! A bit expensive, but totally worth it. Methinks bidets are the future. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
So Scotts does a study that their brand breaks up "4x faster then the leading brand"
Unless it was an independant lab doing the testing its just advertising to me

3+ year old thread.............

lyban

Reaction score
I read that somewhere on here is a toilet paper rating for flushability

BUt I cannot find it.
Is it still here.

ArbitraryUser3472

Reaction score
Hey, I have an innovative idea. How about doing away with the use of toilet paper altogether? First of all, it's expensive to buy it these days. Second of all, it doesn't Really Clean you now, does it? Let's say All of us instead switch to a tried and true method such as plain soap and water. It works and I use this all the time. I Never Ever use toilet paper. We have a septic tank and not once have we ever had a backup of any kind. We have never had any sort of backup in either the house we live in now or in the house we used to live in that was connected to a sewer line. We lived there for 18 years. Low and Behold, we have renters in that house now and guess what? Yes, there was a sewer backup over there today and we have had to spend Tons of money getting it fixed. Well, some people will never learn now, will they?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Charmin causes lot's of problems with flushing. This poor little puppy didn't know what to do with the stash of TP that he found.

index.php

charmin_ultra.jpg

Last edited:

Aterry

Reaction score
Is my plumber telling me the truth about 3ply toilet paper?

About two months ago, I switched to Charmin Ultra Plush 3-ply toilet paper. Since then, I have had the plumber here 3 times to clean out the sewer due to overflowing. He has pulled out what he says are paper towels each time. The second and third time he used the largest snake. I have a roommate and she says she only flushes toilet paper and so do I. He says someone is flushing paper towels or handi- wipes and that the toilet paper can't cause the blockage. If no one is flushing anything but toilet paper, could there be any other cause of the blockage. The house was built in 1920.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Charmin is almost certainly the culprit...as opposed to normal paper, it has some cotton in it and does not decompose. On an old home, the pipes are probably cast iron, and rough inside, so stuff catches. Switch to another TP, or for better hygiene, buy a bidet seat and forget the paper altogether.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have found the house brand sold by Safeway called Softly works very well. It's 2 ply and causes no problems in flushing. I'm fairly certain other large chain stores have exactly the same product under their own house brand names. Beside working very well, it's less expensive than the highly advertised name brands.

John and Chris

Reaction score
We recently remodeled our bathroom and installed a Kohler dual-flush low volume toilet (completed Oct 7 '14). Shortly thereafter began using "Quilted Northern Ultra Plush 3-ply" paper... probably 1st week of November. Third week of November we have sewer backup. Plumber runs his tool up and unstops the plug. Three days later, same issue. This time he unplugs the line and runs a camera up the pipe... finds nothing. Seven days later (tonight) our sewer backs up again (we were gone for 3 days - Thanksgiving).

Am I reading too much in the fact that we started using a new tissue (Q.N. Ultra 3-ply) and have had three stoppages in 10 days? Oh, the house was built in 1984, we've lived in it for 15 years and have had one other instance of a clogged drainage line (5 years ago) and that was in the kitchen (other side of the house).

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Just imagine flushing down a bunch of fancy quilted, thick TP into old plumbing. Not a good idea.

Slightly off topic, but according to Kimberley-Clark (they make a LOT of TP): “…the average person uses 57 sheets of toilet paper per day. With that in mind, you can estimate costs pretty easily. A typical brand’s 12-pack retails for $6.99 and has 352 sheets per roll, meaning that it will last a family of four about 18 to 19 days. That means that family needs to buy a 12-pack about 20 times per year, putting the annual toilet-tissue costs around $140." I recently saw a claim that the average person used 100 rolls per year, but I can't believe that.

Drifting back on topic, The Toilet Paper Encyclopedia advises: "All toilet papers today break down well in the septic system. However, thinner is better. 1 ply bath tissue will break down easier and is best in recreational vehicles and boats."

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
scot-tissue.jpg

"Mary was so fidgety she couldn't concentrate............
......... I was shocked to find that harsh toilet tissue was the cause."

Maybe why that's why I got into so much trouble at school too. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks