(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

View Poll Results: Which toilet paper plugs your toilet?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charmin 1-Ply

2 4.55%
  • Cottonelle 1-Ply

5 11.36%
  • Charmin Ultra 2-Ply

25 56.82%
  • Quilted Northern Super 2-Ply

10 22.73%
  • Seventh Generation 2-Ply

0 0%
  • Soft 'N Gentle 2-Ply

1 2.27%
  • Marcal 1-Ply

0 0%
  • Soft Weve 1-Ply

0 0%
  • Soft 'N Gentle 1-Ply

1 2.27%
  • Coronet

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with toilet paper? Toilet Paper Poll

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Yeah, you'd think with the percentage of American homes on septic systems, there'd be some good, definitive science out there advising us what's OK and Not OK to flush. I noticed in the references I cited that they can't even agree on whether non-soluble TP winds up in the scum or the sludge. Maybe outhouses are the answer after all.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Scott Tissue Clog Clinic

Scott paper has been doing some testing.
    Reading the Seattle Times this morning, I see that they have rated cities according to how clog free they are.

Of course since I sell so many toilets in the Seattle area, you know, the really good ones. I was curious as to which city came out on top.

Cities with the lowest clog rating (least likely to have clogs)
    1) Seattle/Tacoma (cities I've been selling to)
    2) Denver
    3) Minneapolis/St. Paul
    4) Orlando area
    5) Baltimore

The worst cites for clogging are:
    1) New York
    2) Miami/Fort Lauderdale
    3) Los Angeles
    4) Philadelphia
    5) Houston
    6) Atlanta
    7) Chicago
    8) Portland
    9) Indianapolis
    10) San Francisco

Scott Tissue Clog Clinic

Where's the option for "none of the above"? I have Toto toilets at all of my homes... and no problems because of it. I proudly use the 2-ply Cottenelle Ultra without problems, and I do tend to use too much TP.

Ive always had the most problems with "Angel Soft". Seems to plug up a 45 degree, 3" wye under the house every time. I use the Scott brand 1000 sheet rolls. Seems to work the best.

I'm with abikerboy. We use the Scott 1000 sheet rolls. It's more of a $$$ thing to me.

I can't stand paying $$$ for something that gets flushed. My 4 kids just look at a roll of TP and it is gone. I did an experiment and with the Scott 1000 we go through 12 rolls a week (12,000) sheets. Cost about $168.00 / year. When I switch to 2 ply my cost triples.

Default "flushable" wipes?

I have a couple of small ones and my wife likes to use Kandoo 'flushable' wipes. They may be flushable, but they often slow down the toilets in our house, especially if more than one is used. It's quickly remedied with a plunger, but it's a hassle nonetheless. They have only stopped completely once or twice.

Can't wait until my wife thinks the kiddos are old enough to use regular paper... In my opinion, they're already old enough. never used those wipes when I was a kid and I turned out just fine (at least I think so. others beg to differ)

ugh... none of that 80-grit for my tush!.

Default Toilet paper dissolvency - tests

I have seen few articles on this, but in reality, I am having difficulties trying to understand the process to get the test information: how it is being conducted. They claim Charmin Ultra takes 9 seconds etc to dissolve. I have placed the tissue in a glass bowl for timing and I see the tissue not dissolving unless I stir it and touch the tissue. I have tried stirring the water with a wood stick etc, without touching the tissue and after few hours, still not making a cloud in my water with the paper. Please, advise how they conducted this test.

Default after a few hours?!?

Quote Originally Posted by rightman
    I have seen few articles on this, but in reality, I am having difficulties trying to understand the process to get the test information: how it is being conducted. They claim Charmin Ultra takes 9 seconds etc to dissolve. I have placed the tissue in a glass bowl for timing and I see the tissue not dissolving unless I stir it and touch the tissue. I have tried stirring the water with a wood stick etc, without touching the tissue and after few hours, still not making a cloud in my water with the paper. Please, advise how they conducted this test.

After a few hours?!? LOFL about this poll and the comments. I use the toilet paper which makes my rear feel good - charmin ultra. We did a test of about 5 different papers to see which one we liked best - didn't test the clogging issue though - guess it isn't a player in our house - Have a toto toilet - no problems.

We use Scott 1000 and have never had an issue.

The whole reason we started using it is because we bought an RV and I got tired of paying the premium for "special" RV toilet papet. After talking with long time RV's, many of which are full timers, they suggested we try Scott 1000. We did and haven't had any issues in the RV toilets or the toilets in the house since switching over. The Scott 1000 even has safe for RV septic systems" printed on the label and costs a whole lot less than the "special" paper for RV toilets.

Default Problem with toilet paper?

When we built our 1st house in 1973 in a rural subdivision with septic systems, I had always lived in the city, so my father-in-law taught me the septic system rules: use only 1-ply TP and only use white because the colored dyes kill the bacteria that break down the sludge in the system. We followed his rules and we were the only house in our section of the subdivision that never had a septic problem in 33 yrs.

Several folks have mentioned the Scott 1000 rolls. That's what we were using until I discovered the Walgreens Big Roll which is identical but less expensive. Of all the items available through Walgreens, the Big Roll is their top-selling product.

Default bidets solved my TP clogging problems

I just purchased a bidet a few months ago. With bidets, you don't have to worry about silly things such as the "dissolvency" properties of toilet paper. I use far less toilet paper, if any at all, which is good news for all my fellow spoiled Charmin Ultra users. Plus, the experience of cleaning myself is so much more enjoyable AND its environmentally friendly. Everyone in Asia and Europe uses bidets, I'm not sure why it hasn't hit the American scene yet. I guess it's because people are naturally turned off by the thought of water spraying down there?? Not sure.

Anyways, I have an older toilet that used to clog all the time. Since I use less TP, it hasn't clogged since. No joke. Plus, my toilet looks like an upgraded version of itself because the new bidet seat is so much prettier than my old seat:

http://www.easycarts.net/ecarts/terr....html#dib_1500

I ended up buying this one because it got such good reviews. I love it! A bit expensive, but totally worth it. Methinks bidets are the future.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-05-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

So Scotts does a study that their brand breaks up "4x faster then the leading brand"
    Unless it was an independant lab doing the testing its just advertising to me

3+ year old thread.............
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Default I read that somewhere on here is a toilet paper rating for flushability

BUt I cannot find it.
    Is it still here.

DIY Junior Member ArbitraryUser3472's Avatar

Hey, I have an innovative idea. How about doing away with the use of toilet paper altogether? First of all, it's expensive to buy it these days. Second of all, it doesn't Really Clean you now, does it? Let's say All of us instead switch to a tried and true method such as plain soap and water. It works and I use this all the time. I Never Ever use toilet paper. We have a septic tank and not once have we ever had a backup of any kind. We have never had any sort of backup in either the house we live in now or in the house we used to live in that was connected to a sewer line. We lived there for 18 years. Low and Behold, we have renters in that house now and guess what? Yes, there was a sewer backup over there today and we have had to spend Tons of money getting it fixed. Well, some people will never learn now, will they?