4" recessed lighting remodeling versions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I was told that black powder coated 4" recessed can lights are not suitable for bathroom settings(HD guy) but said the white coated versions are? Is there any truth to this, I say no.
Another question is, are there 4" recessed lights(remodel versions that mount through the hole) that allow insulation to tough? Most I see are 3" min.

thanks
Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've seen IC rated recessed, but not in remodel configurations. SOmebody may make them, but since they need to be bigger, I'm not sure how you'd get them through the hole. While somewhat of a pain, it may be better to cut a hole in the ceiling, install the new IC (and preferable AT) unit, then patch the ceiling. My preference would be to also make it air tight (AT), otherwise, you may be putting a bunch of vapor up into the insulation, and getting things wet.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jim, go with IC and AT, if you have attic above (and room) you could install from above. As to the color of the trim kit, personal preference.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
The recessed lights are pretty common at HD/Lowes etc. Lite On is what comes to mind, dont have one in front of me.
Basically its a can with a arm that leads to a wire box. Its meant to push up thorugh a round hole and has clips in the can to secure to sheetrock.
I was told and written on the can these need 3" clearance from insulation, so I was tryign to find if there is such a remodel can that can touch insulation?

In the bathroom, pretty much all over replacing larger 6" cans.

Chris

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I was told that black powder coated 4" recessed can lights are not suitable for bathroom settings(HD guy) but said the white coated versions are? Is there any truth to this, I say no.
Once again "the guy at Home Depo" is WRONG!
The can does NOT care where it is installed.

Another question is, are there 4" recessed lights(remodel versions that mount through the hole) that allow insulation to tough? Most I see are 3" min.
I don't know of a true 4" can (for an R20/PAR20 lamp) that is old work and IC rated. Although I don't get out much and deal with Halo and Lightolier mainly.
Lightolier's Lytening series is both IC and non-IC in the same can. The trim selection and installation determine which applies. They do have a 5" size.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score

I don't think the can itself matters, but the trim kits do matter -- some are rated for showers, etc., some aren't. If the bulb is exposed, it's certainly not a good idea to put it in a shower.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While there are trim kits for wet locations, the can itself will be rated for either IC of AT (insulation contact or air tight). Regardless of the trim, some moisture vapor is likely to get into the can. If it is AT, then it won't migrate into the insulation and being IC rated, likley hot enough so that the dew point will be quite high, meaning it is less likely to condense in the first place. A can that is not AT is designed so that it has air exchange, partly for cooling purposes, to limit the temperature rise, and is likely to be be coupled with a can that is probably not rated for IC - that air has to come from someplace.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
thanks everyone. I used the 4" recessed and pulled the insulation away to the 3". The insualtion is on rolls(paper backed) and didnt have too mnay ideas on how to get the insualtion away, I ended up using 1x2 to prop the insulation away and secured it. I hope thios isnt a no-no?

Chris

dinkledoodle

Reaction score
It has been a while since this question we asked. Sorry if this has since been answered, but I am search challenged...

Has anything changed? Is anybody offering 4" IC rated recessed lighting remodel housings yet? Has anybody come up with a clever little pop in spacer suitable for blown insulation.

TIA
anthony

LightguyBC

Reaction score
It has been a while since this question we asked. Sorry if this has since been answered, but I am search challenged...

Is anybody offering 4" IC rated recessed lighting remodel housings yet?

I use a local manufacturer called Twice Bright Lighting

They sell 4" IC remodel cans.

I think I will let this one pass for now
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

ChitownSparkie

Reaction score
4" can In bath

Sure you can use any size recessed light in your bathroom but I don't know of any 4" remodeler, non-ic or ic that has a shower trim!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks