submersible motor control box

Users who are viewing this thread

mjudyl

Reaction score
Ran out of water on Saturday - plumber finally arrived and replaced the control box - put brand new one in right out of the cardboard box. Water back. Sunday morning at 7:30 am(?!?!?) plumber rang doorbell with a control box in hand to "change" box he had put in. Me half asleep said Okay. Later, me not trusting - check "new" box. Doesn't look new (dented on top) but only difference I can see is old had capacitor and relay and this one just has capacitor. Received bill today for $75 w/o labor. Should I question equipment and is there a difference in control boxes?? Thank you.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's kinda strange. Why would he come back with a another box?

All control boxes have a cap and a relay of some sort. They have changed the relay on the Franklin boxes four times that I know of. But it has to have one. The price is not out of sight but the dent would raise an eyebrow.

bob...

mjudyl

Reaction score
thank you for your quick response. I took the box off the wall and looked at it carefully. The Date is M87 - obviously old. There is no relay but it does have a Solid State Start Switch - is that the same thing - worse - better??
I want to get my info and language in order before I confront the plumber.

judy

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a possible scenario:

He probably had a new box on the truck that he put in the first time to get you going. He took your old one and repaired it. Then he took an old one from a previous customer that he repaired in his shop and cleaned the dirt from and replaced the new one that he sold you the first time.

Now he has the new one that he sold you the first time to sell to someone else, and the one that he took from your place the first time has been repaired to use in the next switch-out.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The Solid State Switch was Franklins third attempt to cheapen the relay. Electronic instead of electricanical. (Some word huh?) The first relay which is black plastic about 2" X 2-1/2" square was the best and is the replacement from most shops like mine. The Solid State Switch wasn't encapsulated. This allowed frogs, lizards etc to crawl behind them. When the power came on, the frog was electrocuted and the relay burned up.

If this guy charged you for a new box, I would ask for it back. The Solid State Switch as far as I know was replaced by an encapsulated switch that is also electronic which made the SSS obsolete. This means you have used parts in your box.

bob...

R

Rancher

It depends

Did you pay for the new pump control box when he installed it?

It could have been that he had a control box (new) that wasn't for your horse power of pump, but it would still work. He then had a repaired one at his shop that he charged you $75, and perhaps the one you had wasn't repairable.

Ask him what he did, and why?

How much was the labor charge.

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
Perhaps the first box was a cap start cap run and the next was cap start only, accounting for the lack of an item in the box. Just ask the guy straight on what was the deal.

How the hell do you get a frog in a box that has to be screwed shut in order to operate? You got micro frogs in that humidity of Florida? Knockouts knocked out and nothing in them?

Speedbump

Reaction score
You would be amazed where these frogs can squeeze themselves into. The little ones are almost all gone to be replaced with a slightly larger one that has been imported from South America. They kill the small ones.

Frogs, Lizards, Roaches and Ants are the biggest reason for service calls in this area.

bob...

mjudyl

Reaction score
thanks for all your comments. I called the plumber on Wednesday morning - the woman in the office said it was her understanding that the first box put in was a 3/4 HP and he came back to change it to a 1/3 HP. When I questioned why it was a used one (date on box M87) she hemmed and hawed and said the plumber would call me. So far (2days) no call.

The labor charge was $85.00. I live in the northern mountains of NH.

Can I buy one of these boxes at a store and return the used $75 one to the plumber? I haven't paid the bill yet

judy

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't return it since it's not new. I would be glad to send you a control box, but the smallest one we carry is one horse. Actually they are all the same up to 1.5hp if they didn't come with run capacitors and overload protectors. It depends on the age for the most part.

bob...

R

Rancher

You can buy a 1/3 HP control box from www.grainger.com

They go for $70, plus you'll pay shipping, although the old box went for $30, it shows limited availability.

You need to pick the right one, either 120 or 240 volts.

If it were me, I'd let it slide, and if it fails make him replace it for free, or report him.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
I often wondered what made some Engineers gravitate to one of the most expensive retail outlets there is. Graingers is retail plus 10%.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Grainger is a good place to find out what is available and to start comparison shopping. If you get a 10% discount and free next-day shipping it is sometimes convenient.

They have a good selection and prices for relays and definite purpose contactors, and better prices on Schedule 80 PVC fittings than are available at most industrial supply houses. For most stuff they are more expensive than other places.

R

Rancher

We shop at Graingers because they have it in stock, unlike the fly-by-night Mom and Pop outfits that will tell you they have it and then have it drop shipped from somewhere else.

I should have quoted Dean Bennett supply out of Denver...

I get the majority of my pumps and supplies from E B A Y

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
I have 7 submersibles from myers via Graingers, all on closeout, non more than 189$ each and $8 to ship. Beat that! Just have to shop them. Most with 4-500 list.

Its like the bible of mechanics, the gold standard, the best starting point.

If you call outside sales, your rep will quote on larger buys and the price gets very attractive.

I wonder how long these posts will stay up since Graingers does not sell "anti cycling valve" type products?

R

Rancher

40507.gif

$3.99 at HarborFreight sales (on-sale)

It says it's a cable cutter...

"Cut through cable up to 7/8'' in diameter. Rugged heat-treated drop forged steel. Handles are double-dipped for added safety. 10'' long. Not suitable for cutting steel."

ITEM 40507-6VGA

:eek:

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks