may have damaged point with Acid??

Users who are viewing this thread

RickyAirtime

Reaction score
I have a point in the basement, it's an old house, and believe it's less than 25 feet deep, as a shallow well pump works. The water is excellent, but the pressure is low and I believe the point was plugged.

A plumber yesterday suggested 1 Gallon of Mauratic Acid, let it sit 3 hours, then pump it out. So I did.

Trying to prime, I found 3 holes in the main steel pipe going into the dirt floor.
Possibly from the acid.
I patched them with JB Weld, but still cannot get prime.

Could I have damaged the point?
Could I have damaged the pipe further down?
Will I need a new well? My neighbour replaced his well recently, and has had
non-drinkable water since, so I'd like to avoid that, plus the obvious cost.

The acid has been in there almost a day now, is it making it worse?

Thank You .... Rick

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your plumber is an idiot.

Muriatic acid is not only dangerous, but it eats the galvanize off the pipe. If this well is in a confined area, and you had sulphur in your well, you could be brain dead now.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/mi/01mi061.html

You might try to pull the old one out and replace the pipe and point. That is what most people do with shallow wells.

Next time you want to acid treat a well, use Nu-Well tablets.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

RickyAirtime

Reaction score
Your right, he wasn't very bright. (looked retired)

After the downpipe had holes eatin' throu it, from the acid, I spent the day digging up the 10 foot downpipe and the point, in a 5 foot basement.
(with 2 broken ribs)

Thanks for your help, hopefully all will be well tomorrow, when I purchase a new point, etc. I sure need a shower :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The acid, while it was a bad idea, and may have eaten through the pipe, but I am going to guess that the point/pipe was rusted and ready to go and all the acid did was finish the job.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I agree with Cass, it was undoubtedly in bad shape to start with.

You must be a tough dude to be digging with two broken ribs.

bob...

RickyAirtime

Reaction score
I agree, the point couldn't of been in the best of shape but all is well now.
New stainless steel system.

Where my shower barely got me wet before, now almost hurts from the pressure. You can flush the toilet and actually have tap water immediatly instead of 10 minutes later. :)
It hasn't even been close to this good, since I moved in a decade ago.

Worst part about the ribs is it's one in front, and one in the back, so it's impossible to avoid straining one, .... or laying down.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks