Flexible sewer cap

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I hope this makes sense.

In my 1950s house I have a 1950s stub out for a toilet and vanity in the basement. The pipe is cast iron.

The vanity stub is properly capped. On the toilet stub the cap has been smashed off. Nothing leaks from this pipe and it does not smell but I would like to cap it off. Can I use a flexible cap, like a large Fernco, to do this?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick. Thank you.

I wonder why it does not smell or leak sewage without a cap? Does that mean it is blocked? I hope to use it someday, albeit with some sort of PVC modification.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Ian said:
I wonder why it does not smell or leak sewage without a cap?

Depends on which way the air is moving in the pipe - and of course it could be plugged. But methane is colorless, odorless, explosive and toxic. It doesn't have to smell.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Herk. Given what my wife said after I left the bathroom this morning, I can definitely rule out any production of methane from my good self.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks