How to fix faucet handle

Users who are viewing this thread

tgaf1949

Reaction score
I have a two handle kitchen sink faucet. I think the brand name is AM GROUP. The stop position on the cold side handle works ok, but not on the hot side handle. I think it may have been this way since I installed the faucet several years ago.Any suggestion as to how I might fix it, short of buying a new faucet?
Thanks
Terry

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Turn off the water to the faucet. Remove the handle and retaining nut. Then use a pliers to pull out the stem (if it is plastic).

For plastic stems, you should be able to adjust the stop position by rotating the stem 180 degrees. It's also possible that the stem is broken and needs to be replaced.

If the stem is brass, you can adjust the stop position simply by rotating the handle to the correct position and screwing the handle back on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

Put the cold handle on the hot side and try it. If it works properly then you need a new handle, if it still doesn't work you need a new stem.

tgaf1949

Reaction score
Plastic surrounding brass stem broken

Thanks guys. I think I see the problem. There is a piece of plastic with a semi circurlar lip surrounding the brass stem, and it's broken. So how do I get it out in order to replace it?

I tried pulling out the stem with a pliers, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. Should I pull harder, or does the metal part enclosing the stem need to be unscrewed.?
Thanks
Terry

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A pic would help.

Hot and cold stems either unscrew or can be pulled out with a pliers. There is almost always a retaining nut that needs to be unscrewed first.

Don't forget to turn off the water first.

tgaf1949

Reaction score
Brand Name......

is American Standard Group.
I am going to wait until I buy replacement part before attempting to pull out or unscrew old stem valve.

I did take a picture of it, but don't see anyway of attaching it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks