Best framing solution for rough plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I need to put my bathroom partition wall in a certain place due to space limitations in adjacent rooms. Unfortunately I think this causes an issue for my shower vent and sink drains. I'm installing a pedestal sink. The floor joist will be offset just slightly towards the inside of the the room. Doesn't look like there would be any room to get a shower vent up and the sink drain down due to the placement of the joist.

The shower has to be where it is, and the wall has to be where it is. So... I'm thinking I could offset the wall that the sink will be located on, so I can run the shower vent, sink vent and sink drain through it. I've included a link to a 3D model of what I'm talking about. the lines in the wall represent the shower vent and sink vent/drain. The new wall will also be supporting a header. I'm thinking I would make it with 2x6s so I can drill through it without loosing strength.

http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjamesnelson/Framing

1) Does anyone have a better way to do this? My joists are 2x8.

2) If the shower vent ties in with the sink vent, does it need to be 2" or can it be 1 1/2"?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A hole in a joist can't be more than 1/3 the height, and can't be within 2" of either the top or bottom. A 2x6 won't be high enough to run much through.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I don't know if somebody edited something, but Nelson said 2x8 - so figure 7.5, gives him 2-1/4... looks like maybe he wouldn't have room for the elbow, though, after the joist, to still stay within the wall.

Nelson, doesn't SketchUp rock?

You should post the model to the 3-D warehouse, and link it - so we can dowload it & see it in detail, play around with it, etc.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Yes. It does rock. Here is the link to the model

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=957d1730f4a5688a4dd5f2f581108097

And yes... I think the problem would be getting the shower vent into the wall without notching too much of the joist and also getting the elbow for the sink drain to fit. My understanding is that the vent for the shower has to take off at least 45 degrees from horizontal.

I should also mention... After the shower drain picks up the sink drain and turns, it will go through the floor joists, not under them like the drawing seems to indicate. Also... The shower is actually a neo angle.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
As long as you're running that horizontal vent pipe halway around the room... why not put the shower vent in the back wall (not cross any joists), and extend the horizontal run to meet it? Something like this?

Attachments

• Framing2.jpg
    Framing2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Ah - no - I'd run the drainline over a bit, run the trap parallell & wye it to the main line... oh, right, that won't work, either, will it? You've only got 8".

Sorry for the not-well-thought-out response, it's well past my bedtime.

edit: I'm looking at it again... You don't have the clearance to keep a proper slope on that line across the joists, at the other end of the bath, either. Not running 2" pipe through 8" nominal joists, anyways.

I'm going to bed. Can you post a basic layout (2-D), with fixture location marked out & where the existing stack / vent is?

Not everybody here has SU, and even with it, I'm not clear what's sink, what's toilet, and have no idea where you trying to bring everything to...

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You really want the shower drain to be in the middle of the shower. Otherwise, the slope on the short side can be quite steep since it is normal to have the floor the same height all the way around.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Anybody else want to take a stab at this?

To reiterate... I need to place my wall close to a floor joist and I won't have enough room to run the sink drain and shower vent without hacking out large chunks of the joist. The new bathroom is adjacent to a bedroom and closet (See floor plan in the link above). I don't want to take anymore room than I have to from the bedroom. The wall between the bedroom and bathroom has to be where it is. My plan for now is to offset the wall close to the shower so I can run my shower vent and sink drain straight up through the new wall. Is there a better way to do this?

Other possible options and considerations…

I'm putting in a prefab pan. Are the edges that nail to the studs typically curved at the bottom? Do you think there would be enough room to take the shower vent off at 45 degrees below the pan and then up through the wall? I've attached the picture from the rough-in guide.

Could the sink drain run through the wall instead of going down to the floor? I would then turn it down at the knee wall and tie in with the shower drain.

Can I notch the joist deeper than 1/6th (code here) and then sister it up with a 2x6 or 2x4?

Thanks!

Attachments

• pan.JPG
    pan.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
R

Rancher

Otherwise, the slope on the short side can be quite steep since it is normal to have the floor the same height all the way around.
The shower guys that molded my shower floor told me they actually had to replace one that had the drain 2" from the edge because the slope b/t the drain and the wall exceeded the max slope in the building code... and the inspector wrote it up.

Rancher

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Interesting...I loaned my TCNA book to someone. The codes are written against that for showers. I'll try to remember to check it out when I get it back.

That is the main reason why the drain works best if it is in the center of the shower. But, on anything but a round one or square one, the actual slope would be different between the short and long walls since the total drop from the longest distance needs to be at the 1/4"/foot range. That means that the shorter side must be steeper to arrive at the drain on the same elevation. the only alternative is to have the wall around the base be at different heights which usually looks hokey.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I need to put my bathroom partition wall in a certain place due to space limitations in adjacent rooms. Unfortunately I think this causes an issue for my shower vent and sink drains. I'm installing a pedestal sink. The floor joist will be offset just slightly towards the inside of the the room. Doesn't look like there would be any room to get a shower vent up and the sink drain down due to the placement of the joist.

The shower has to be where it is, and the wall has to be where it is. So... I'm thinking I could offset the wall that the sink will be located on, so I can run the shower vent, sink vent and sink drain through it. I've included a link to a 3D model of what I'm talking about. the lines in the wall represent the shower vent and sink vent/drain. The new wall will also be supporting a header. I'm thinking I would make it with 2x6s so I can drill through it without loosing strength.

1) Does anyone have a better way to do this? My joists are 2x8.

2) If the shower vent ties in with the sink vent, does it need to be 2" or can it be 1 1/2"?

Thanks!

Is this going to be a pedesal sink or a cabinet. If it is a cabinet then you can bring the vent up in the toekick and offset into the wall within the height of the toe kick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks