Private Well House Filtration

Users who are viewing this thread

mankind

Reaction score
I am preparing an installation of a whole house filtration system, just a wound string type filter. I am questioning my filter location:

Option 1: Before inlet into the pressure tank, directly inline with the jet pump discharge line, going into the pressure tank.

Option 2: After the pressure tank and before the water softener system.

Well condition, not a lot of sediment gets pumped into the pressure tank and this is observered by flushing the pressure tank from time to time, no sediment observed in sample bottles.

I realize a couple things about filter placement. After the pressure tank, the internal house line pressure could drop initially and would degrade over time as the filter depletes, even without much sediment present. I guess the above could also be a consideration with the filter before the pressure tank.

mankind

Reaction score
As I think more about my post, I can rationalize that if there has been no filtration on the system since home completion in 1990, and little to no observation of water contaminates, I may not need consideration of a whole house filter.

My only intention is to provide one level of filteration before water hits the softening system to keep the resin tanks clean of any contaminates, or further limit contaminations from large size particles that the wound string filters would catch.

I suppose if anything does impact the resin tanks, backwashing should flush it out. I am probably beginning to over analyze this the more I think about it. Basically, filter before pressure tank or filter after pressure tank and before softener system. Softener system is original to the home and is in fine shape, doing well.

Kinetico guy had some difficulty disputing test results, even though his little crayola water testing kit is somewhat subjective in interpretation of color differences.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Kinetico is one of the very few softeners that requires a "whole house filter" in front of it.

I think you answered your own question. You don't need the "whole house filter". They are really a one faucet filter, but thanks to modern advertising techniques, they can now serve a whole house no matter how big.

bob..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks