Rough-in adaptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cme10ae

Reaction score
The latest mistake the plumber made on out addition is the master bath toilet. For some reason he roughed it in at 14" instead of the standard 12". I had already purchased a 12" Cimarron for that bathroom and that's what he installed earlier this week. It was a few days ago and I can't believe he didn't even mention it - it looks terrible - 2 1/4" out from the wall. It has to be fixed. I've heard there are adaptors available, is there one that would make this 12" toilet work on a 14" rough without a huge gap behind it? It's either that or rip out the new tile, or swap it with the Ultramax in the other bath (and I really don't want to do that).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
opening

If he really roughed it in at 14" then you would normally have about 3" behind it. Depending on how he installed the pipe under the floor, you may be able to use an offset collar after removing the existing one, although that might not be a DIY job. If I had put the pipe in, (but then it would not be 3" away from the wall, hopefully), installing an offset collar would be very simple, but other plumbers sometimes take the quick, cheap way and then it becomes more of a hassle.

Cme10ae

Reaction score
Thanks - this job would be fixed by the plumber who installed it wrong the first time, we wouldn't be doing it ourselves. But I don't have much confidence in his work. If the offset collar couldn't be used, what would the next best fix be?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The only other possibility is to break the floor and move the pipe back. But you may be overreacting. Many toilets sit more than 1" from the wall. The manufacturers know that while 12" is the standard once the plumber installs the pipe, it is subject to the builder putting the wall in the proper place using the same measurements the plumber used. Sometimes this does not happen as there is ambiguity as to where to measure from. Because of this ambiguity, many plumbers install the pipe at 13" to allow for discrepencies and extra wall thickness. If the builder moves the wall back during construction, and there can be many reasons for doing so, the pipe will come out at 14" and if he moves it forward it will reduce to 12" or possibly less.

Last edited:

Cme10ae

Reaction score
I've thought about putting a different toilet in, but I needed an elongated ADA height, which is why I chose the Cimarron. It was only $200, if I had gone with a Toto it would have cost more, plus now there is a wait up to 4 weeks for them. I don't know what I would do with this one, I bought it at Expo, would I be able to return it? Guess I'll just wait and see what the plumber and builder have to say.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm with hj on this. I would just install what you have on the roughin unless you just don't have the room in front of the bowl. It's not that big of deal.

by the way, Toto makes an elongated tall bowl in that price range too, the Dalton CST734F
I've tried both in the home, the Dalton will plug less and wash the bowl better than the Cimarron.
The handle on the Dalton is easier to use too.
Oh yes, and I sell it for less, $194

Last edited:

Cme10ae

Reaction score
If only I lived closer Terry, I would have bought from you in the first place!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks