sanitary tee for vent connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Can a sanitary tee be used to connect a horizonal vent stack to a horizontal vent run? If so, which way should it be positioned? Curve pointing up or curve pointing down?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Can a sanitary tee be used to connect a horizonal vent stack to a horizontal vent run? If so, which way should it be positioned? Curve pointing up or curve pointing down?

do you mean a horizontal run to vertical (stack)? By code 2 vents can tie together as long as you are 6" above the flood rim of the fixture(s) being served. The tee would be positioned so the curve being down ( or upside down). Imagine something flowing down the pipe from the roof, the tee would be positioned to direct the flow from the roof to the drain pipe on the side outlet of the tee.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Which way?

Vent for a sink would tie into the horizontal outlet to a vertical vent for a shower (6" above fixture trap).

Would it be the first or second picture?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,491
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,526

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
The branch should "flow" from the horizontal smoothly up out the end of the vent pipe..
Second pic gives the correct orientation....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

It is a philsophical concept, since air doesn't care about "sweeps", so even a square vent tee is acceptable. The sweep is more to conduct moisture to a drain point.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I understand that HJ but it is the concept I was talking about...
I just find it easier to explain to new people that "sh*t flows downhill and farts flow uphill"...
At least it gives the new apprentices a fighting chance on getting the vent fittings the right direction...LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks