Gray Out

Users who are viewing this thread

Danzimm

Reaction score
What type of professional high strength fiberglass cleaner can you recommend for removing the polymerized mineral deposits (gray out) embedded in the non-skid surfaces of a fiberglass showerpan ?

Thanks
Danzimm

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
For fiberglass surfaces, never use an abrasive cleaner. Never use acid.

Stains at a Glance

Red, Reddish-brown stain: **Rust, Iron** Paste of borax and lemon juice; let dry, then rinse

Paste of mild scouring powder, cream of tartar,
peroxide; let stand 1/2 hour, then rinse

Trisodium phosphate in water, then rinse

Commercial products, like ZUD, then rinse

Oxalic acid, 1 part to 10 parts water, then rinse

Green, Blue-green stain: **Copper, Acid Water** Soapsuds and ammonia, then rinse

Mixture of half water and half ammonia; rinse well
and flush pipes with water after using

Brown. Black stains: **Manganese** Paste made of cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide;
Let stand, then rinse

Hard-Water Stains: **Lime** Paste made of white vinegar and baking soda, let
stand, then rinse

1 teaspoon Calgon in gallon water, rinse well

2-4 tablespoons trisodium phosphate in gallon water,
then rinse
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, what makes you think polymerization is occurring here?

Last edited:

Danzimm

Reaction score
Removing Gray Out

I have tried all the home-made concoctions of vinegar,hydrogen peroxide,baking soda and most of the cleaning chemicals/commercial products found at your local Home Depot and grocery store but nothing seems to work without some serious major scrubbing and yet the results are still minimal.

I believe the polymerization occured due to the lotions, skin oils and dirt that accumulate and are accelerated by exposure from the chlorine and oxygen. This dirt is hardened in the crevices of the non-slip treatment on the surface of the shower pan.

I was looking for something a little bit more industrial as far as strength goes. Something made specifically for this problem, I'm aware that others with fiberglass pans experience this same problem.

Danzimm

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The standard response from most of us is that NOTHING will fix fibreglass tubs in showers in that condidtion. Now Verdeboy brings in the boat cleaner, and I want some! One of the feedbacks on the website was someone who used is successfully on a shower. I would say you have nothing to lose...give it a try. Since it is probably strong stuff, I suggest eye protection, latex gloves, and open the windows.

I never had a boat.....would you normally apply some kind of wax or polish after using a cleaner like this? Might need to do the same on the shower, but be careful what kind of polish you put on a floor....don't want it slippery.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks