(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PVC fitting fix

DIY Junior Member

Default PVC fitting fix

I have a leak at a 3" PVC fitting in my hot tub. It's impossible to go any further back to cut out and replace the elbow which I enlarged too much when I took out the original flexible PVC pipe which had collapsed. The new flexible pipe which I glued in just won't hold water at this joint. Only possible solution I can think of is to wrap the joint with some sort of epoxy. Found two products online which claim to be able to do the fix: Repair Bond and Plast-Aid. Has anyone used these products or have a different solution for me?

Glue in a piece of 3" PVC and a coupling then the flexable pipe into the undamaged coupling...
    Might work for you...

DIY Junior Member

FYI, I think I figured out a solution. If I cut off the fitting with a cable saw, I'll get to another fitting barely within reach. I found out that there are products available online that are called "pipe extensions." Basically they are fittings designed to go INSIDE a sawed-off connection. Terriffic idea although I was told by a plumber that they are "illegal" as they reduce the size of the pipe. For 1 inches, who cares? The end of the pipe goes to various water nozzles, which by definition are constricted ports.

Sure beats having to rent a crane or use sissor jacks to lift the entire spa up to gain access from underneath.