can a door swing outwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

pipewoe

Reaction score
Hi--having problems with the space in my bath remodel. I installed a pocket door but am not happy with the sense of "flimsiness" it brings. The toilet is oriented parallel with the door with the front edge of the toilet even with the door opening which means when someone is sitting, their knees actually "break the plane" of the door space, so privacy is an issue. I'm considering removing the tiny closet just to the left of the pocket door, moving the door about 15 inches away from the front edge of the toilet and replacing the pocket door with a conventional swing door (closes more securely.) I know doors conventionally open into a room, but is there any reason I can't install it to swing out into the hallway like a closet door does?

I've attached a little drawing--the door should read 28 inches. The room is basically just shy of an 8X8' box, and the closet is not quite as wide as it looks--is 24" wide by 16" deep.

Thanks.

Attachments

• final bath layout.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,467

fortop

Reaction score
I am facing the same problem for my remodel. I am no expert, but I have done several remodels with small baths. I don't think there is any restriction on having an outswing door on a bathroom, it is just unconventional.

I hate pocket doors - always seem to come off the track inside the pocket and the pocket cannot be cleaned - collects dust, dirt, insects, and I had a mouse (or 2?) make a home in the pocket once.

I once flush mounted a single track on the inside wall of the bathroom and just had a drywalled door opening. I mounted a 2x2 vertical stop flush on the inside wall so the door had a solid strike to stop against and secure the door. Then I used door stop with thin felt on the door opening to seal the door when closed.

Another option is a bifold door, which could swing in. You would "lock" it for privacy with a block mounted on the inside of one door which turns horizontal and prevents both door from opening from the outside.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have almost exactly the same room. I've used a pocket door for years with no problem. Are you using a "real" door? You need one with some weight so it doesn't rattle around.

pipewoe

Reaction score
Yes, the door is a regular door, not hollow core or anything. The room is directly off the living room which is why I'm a bit concerned about the "privacy" issue--if it were on a remote hallway I don't think I'd be as concerned. I have come to the decision to remove the closet and re-do the door (and therefore extend the wall space next to the toilet) but am still on the fence about which way the door will swing.

Thanks for the replies, and for helping me think it through.

pipewoe

Reaction score
Geez, I have 2 closets in that hallway--I had no idea my guests were at risk....:eek: :D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all pocket door systems are created equal. Johnson probably makes some of the better ones, and if you get one rated for a heavy door, the movement is very smooth. They have various locking latches for pocket doors, too, so you can lock it if you feel the need. Check out their website. I put one in my bathroom, and the 6-panel door has enough heft, and the ball bearing tracks are smooth enough so it glides quietly and smoothly.

I've seen some, Stanley's for one, and they didn't seem particularly sturdy. Johnson's stuff, at least the stuff made for heavier doors, is well put together and should last for a long time.

The hassle for a door opening out is that someone could put something in the hallway and trap the person in. If the door opens in, you are in charge of what could be restricting its movement. Most people don't live in their closets, so opening out isn't a safety hazard.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just installed two stanely pocket doors and I have to say they are the nicest sturdiest pocket door system I've ever seen. Each guide has four wheels on it and it is imbeded in the rail. No way the door can fall from the track.

I also used a standard 6 panel door from HD. Very sturdy. It fits tight in the space and slides really smooth.

If you trim out a good pocket door with quarter round I think it will feel sturdier to you. It also helps to close the gap due to a pocket door not having a trim piece on the closing side.

Tom

Hube

Reaction score
Geez, I have 2 closets in that hallway--I had no idea my guests were at risk....:eek: :D

Yes, but it would be very unlikely there is anyone IN the closets to open a door into the hallway, but there could be someone in the bathroom ready to open the door into the hallway......'THUMP'!!!
As was said previously, opening a bathroom door into a hallway could be very hazardous, unless you give everyone, including your guests,a football helmet or hardhat when travelling down that hallway when someone is occupying the john.

A PROPERLY installed sliding pocket door is your best remedy.

Prashster

Reaction score
For what it's worth:

I changed the doors in my bathroom and a couple walk-in closets to be outward swing. It was the BEST thing I've done. It makes those spaces seem HUGE. If you can't find a good pocket door, then I vote to make 'em swing out.

IMHO, the bigger risk is someone on the outside opening the door on someone inside, rather than the person inside opening the door on a passerby.

I HATE inward swinging doors in small spaces. I think they just do that for aesthetics (to hide the hinges view), and to prevent ambitious thieves from removing the hinges to open a locked door. I don't even notice the difference now that I'm swapped around.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
While it isn't likely, someone leaving something in the hallway could trap a person in the bathroom. If the door swings in, you have a chance of getting out, if it swings out, you could die there.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
LOL. How embarrasing when the cops are trying to figure out why you didn't just climb out the window! LOL.

Tom

Jadnashua

Reaction score
In my townhouse, there is NO window in the bathroom, so it could be more serious than that. Code requires a bathroom to only have either a window or a vent. I'm not sure what the building code says about the swing of a door in a room that is normally occupied, if anything.

Prashster

Reaction score
If code dictates inward swing on b-room doors, I'll defer. But I gotta say we've had the outswing for a few months now on 3 bathroom doors, and I've never had a passerby smacking incident. Even if it were to happen every week, it'd (IMHO) be worth it to make the bathroom feel spacious - something I appreciate every time I use it.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
both swings are OK. In fact, wheelchair people need outswinging doors.

It's not a danger, imho. Rambunctious muscular teenage males (I know, that is profiling) may push a door open, and fast, without paying attention to whether someone is walking down a corridor. And if anyone truely feels trapped after you may have inadvertently left your 200-pound toolbox on a locked wheel dolly, then they just have to push with their back to the door and legs against the opposite wall to nudge the door open. Whew! Some people might need to have those safety instructions taped under the toilet seat.

david

Prashster

Reaction score
...Rambunctious muscular teenage males may push a door open, and fast, without paying attention to whether someone is walking down a corridor...

Again, the greater risk is barging IN on a teenage male pushing fast and rambunctiously on his muscle.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I just installed two Johnson pocket doors and they are rock solid and both have locks. If they're trimmed out right and the bottom slide guides are used there shouldn't be any "flimsiness".

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
when well done, pocket doors are a pleasure.

when the floor layout puts a bathroom door into a living room, I'd go for a tighter closing door. And I'd spend a lot of time adjusting the weatherstripping around the door seal. I think the original poster had this problem, which basically amounted to direct exposure to the living room.

david

pipewoe

Reaction score
when well done, pocket doors are a pleasure.

I think the original poster had this problem, which basically amounted to direct exposure to the living room.

david

Wow, I got super busy @ work this week and never got back to the forum. Thanks for all the replies. I never thought about why doors swing into a room but out of a closet. I have decided to convert the pocket to a swing for the very reason David says above. I had used the Stanley pocket kit, and upgraded the "rollers." The door rolls nicely, but again, since it opens directly onto the LR, I think I'd be happier w/a latch door--and moving it 16" or so will give more privacy to the toilet.
Still on the fence about which way to swing it. I guess when I re-create the rough opening, I'll address it then.

Thanks for all the great imput.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If all you want is a latch, they do make them, and the one I have on mine also locks. There's a plate in the wall with a rod on it. The part on th edoor has a hook that latches on the rod.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks