(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical Options For Garbage Disposal Install

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    (c) A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s) where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be marked “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected between the grounding-type receptacles.
    Does this mean I can't replace a non-grounding receptacle with a grounding receptacle supplied through a GFCI which is properly grounded, and extend the grounding conductor from the GFCI to the new receptacle? That appears to be what it says, but I'd like to believe that's not what it intends.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If there's no source of ground to the GFCI, then running a ground wire to the others down-link from it would have no effect, and potentially make someone believe that it really was grounded. A ground in this case would do nothing except possibly energize other devices on the circuit if there was a fault. The safety ground is there to provide a path back to the panel and trip the breaker. Current running around on a ground wire that was not grounded may not trip either the breaker or the GFCI, presenting more danger than if it was hooked up.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014