Electromagnetic water softener (descaler)

Users who are viewing this thread

nextgen

Reaction score
Cool guys stay in your little world. Three posts and I am gone.

I was being honest, nice greeting to a new member.

Wonder if I hold the record for shortest time on this NG.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not just theorizong here, I have actually done some research on these things. A couple of smallish magnets stuck to the side of a copper pipe will never have enough strength to do do anything. Water moves through the pipe way too fast for them to have any effect at all. There is not one single bit of creditable evidence to support these things at all, anywhere. That seemingly creditable evidence that a short Google search turns up winds up being paid for testimonials and or bogus reports from equally bogus testing institutions. This is not rocket science stuff here. Anyone that really thinks about this can see through the smoke and mirrors. Even if it did somehow bond or align the molecules it does not chemically change the composition of the water. The chemicals that make water hard in the first place are still there and still end up in your glass of water. A red light should come on when you read that a water test will not show any change in chemical composition. Water can not "hide" its composition. Flashing it with a magnet can not possibly change its composition or electrical charge. Like I said, I've done a pile of research on this bogus stuff and it just plain does not add up. Kind of like tankless water heaters. The more you know the less likely you are to get ripped off.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Common sense says that if they worked every one including the Godfather would be using them and the salt / water softening industry would be out of buisness...

they would be trying to sell Diamond Crystal Salt with the little facets to cling to your food better...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Common sense says that if they worked every one including the Godfather would be using them and the salt / water softening industry would be out of buisness...

they would be trying to sell Diamond Crystal Salt with the little facets to cling to your food better...

A company around here advertises heavily on radio, using hype ads from local radio stars. They advertise " no salt, no filters to change" so I suspect it is something like this magnet gizmo. It is a few grand, which is why customers are not beating down the doors!

MikeFromHC

Reaction score
If anyone here actually believes that moving water perhaps 80 feet per second past a small magnet is going to significantly alter the composition of the water, I'm having a special sale on bridges today - two for one sale.

I met the guys who bought the London Bridge They were wheeling and dealing in Baja at the time.
They thought they wre buying the Tower Bridge...

The people selling these water softeners should also sell the magnets that double your gas millage.

A simple solution for them would be to submit to Rand's challenge and come out $1,000,000.00 richer.

TheGreatAus

Reaction score
Just look at the Science

Im a Ph.D student in Chemistry at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. I first came across this forum when I was researching electromagnetic water softeners, thinking it was a complete hoax, but was humoring myself researching it anyway. This thread has proved quite enlightening.

The original start to the thread had this link: http://www.space-age.com/magwater/fta/fta_nonchem.pdf, that reference a Department of Energy (DOE) Federal Technology Alert (FTA). Being a researcher, the DOE is a huge entity that funds a lot of science. I went to the DOE website to see if other FTA's existed; long story shortm, the document in the link wasnt BS. I found many other FTA's that were also quite enlightening, offering a review of some of the best recent technologies for the various topic.

The other link ('electromagnetic' - http://www.santaclaritawaterconditioning.com/hmws.html) also had a lot of insight, talking about the actual science of the technology. It essentially lowers the surface tension of the water, allowing solutes to be dissolved that much easier, i.e. keeping the chemicals of the 'hard' water in solution and not plating the pipes.

What I dont get, is how all of you can bash people who have bought the materials and have personal testimonies supporting the theory and the science. Its all there. I researched this thinking it was BS and spent a lot of time trying to see if its worth investing in, and it seems like it is.
And remember this about magnets and water, Magnetic resonance imaging is a technology (commonly referred to as MRI) that works on the fact that you can align water molecules in a given magnetic field. These water molecules have dipole moments, a positive and negative end of the molecule that interact with ions such as calcium and magnesium (hard water congeners), that could just as easily be influenced by the poles of a magnetic field.

For those naysayers out there

I met the guys who bought the London Bridge They were wheeling and dealing in Baja at the time.
They thought they wre buying the Tower Bridge...

The people selling these water softeners should also sell the magnets that double your gas millage.

A simple solution for them would be to submit to Rand's challenge and come out $1,000,000.00 richer.

just remember that if I would have told you that splitting an atom in 1939 is pure rubbish, you would have been sorely mistaken if you would have been a Japanese person in 1945.

And for this guy:

If anyone here actually believes that moving water perhaps 80 feet per second past a small magnet is going to significantly alter the composition of the water, I'm having a special sale on bridges today - two for one sale.

look up magnetohydrodynamics, it'll tell ya all about it why it COULD and DOES work.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Im a Ph.D student in Chemistry at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. I first came across this forum when I was researching electromagnetic water softeners, thinking it was a complete hoax, but was humoring myself researching it anyway. This thread has proved quite enlightening.

The original start to the thread had this link: http://www.space-age.com/magwater/fta/fta_nonchem.pdf, that reference a Department of Energy (DOE) Federal Technology Alert (FTA). Being a researcher, the DOE is a huge entity that funds a lot of science. I went to the DOE website to see if other FTA's existed; long story shortm, the document in the link wasnt BS. I found many other FTA's that were also quite enlightening, offering a review of some of the best recent technologies for the various topic.

The other link ('electromagnetic' - http://www.santaclaritawaterconditioning.com/hmws.html) also had a lot of insight, talking about the actual science of the technology. It essentially lowers the surface tension of the water, allowing solutes to be dissolved that much easier, i.e. keeping the chemicals of the 'hard' water in solution and not plating the pipes.

What I dont get, is how all of you can bash people who have bought the materials and have personal testimonies supporting the theory and the science. Its all there. I researched this thinking it was BS and spent a lot of time trying to see if its worth investing in, and it seems like it is.
And remember this about magnets and water, Magnetic resonance imaging is a technology (commonly referred to as MRI) that works on the fact that you can align water molecules in a given magnetic field. These water molecules have dipole moments, a positive and negative end of the molecule that interact with ions such as calcium and magnesium (hard water congeners), that could just as easily be influenced by the poles of a magnetic field.

just remember that if I would have told you that splitting an atom in 1939 is pure rubbish, you would have been sorely mistaken if you would have been a Japanese person in 1945.

And for this guy:

look up magnetohydrodynamics, it'll tell ya all about it why it COULD and DOES work.

Um, no. What you're studying in a controlled lab test against real world symantics, are two entirely different realms of thinking.

There's so much hocus pocus to the belief that you can hook a magnet to a water line is because everybody including the senior citizen on welfare on the second floor above a chinese voodoo shop has the ability to sell something that promises effective use, but once that sale is done and over with, it's someone elses bag to carry.

Since you're highly intelligent on these matters, I would like you to contact the makers of such products and offer a 30 day trial offer on all of these products, no credit card needed, no shipping charges, no NOTHING. Just send the product and let it be used to see if there's really any truth to the product.

Best way to prove this theory, is to plant these products out there like some of them are placebos...so the talent of knowing if it is a mental state of being or a true physical one with results, just like the fancy websites promise.

Of course, if you're so sure of your own product, this should be an ample opportunity to "step up to the plate" and let us, the unknowing bunch to see firsthand what the truth is about these products.

We've subjected a few people that have come here speaking on behalf of their product, and when they get cornered with asking for specific information...

they tend to disappear and never come back. Are we harsh? I don't think so. I think we as a cautious bunch could be made believers overnight if what you say and what it does are the exact same thing.

But up to this point, and your one solo posting, nothing has changed here on the reality front.

I'm asking you, TheGreatAus, to forever change my life and my way of thinking about these quick methods of making my water do things never thought imaginable beyond my wildest dreams, envisioning myself in a foreign land enjoying tea, sitting in a tub that provides me the softest water imaginable.

Please tell me you found me on the internet, to rescue me, once and for all from the horrid and devastating hard water that affects me deeply.

I want to believe, just like you...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The very few water heaters that I have changed out over the years, that had earth magnets or electric field type from wire wrapping hooked up to the incoming water line, still had a ton of lime, Ect. in the bottom and that...in my NSHO...had led to the premature failure of the heater...sooooo....now what....

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Let's assume that it does if fact actually keep the minerals in solution so that they do not "plate" the piping. The major reason for softening water is to remove the deposits from the end use, I.E. what comes out the faucet. What comes out the faucet is still hard water. However, those that wish to lay out a couple grand for a couple 10 dollar magnets are certainly free to do so.

CarlH

Reaction score

As a PhD student, you should work a little more on your critical thinking skills. Has any of your research turned up any research papers that have been peer reviewed? Have you conducted any empirical testing of your own under controlled conditions? Perhaps you can work this research and testing into your quest for your PhD.

I have a few problems with that link that you provided. If anybody wants to check it out, I suggest that they skip to pages 9 and 10. The suggested applications are for boilers and cooling towers. Also, these require a method to filter out precipitate or you will have precipitate flowing through your water system. Having presipitates flowing through your water system can be bad. I'm sure the plumbers here have changed their share of leaky seats that were probably scratched by some solid that made its way through the water system. I like the part on page 10 on what to avoid. They state, "This technology is littered with disreputable manufacturers." Also, the application noted here is for scale management. Do they discuss any of the other aspects as to why people install residential water softeners?

The biggest problem I have with this document is that it has been retired by FEMP and is no longer available through FEMP period. They went so far as to pull it down from the web site, "At the direction of the program's Interlaboratory Council ... FEMP has retired the following publications." Why was that document retired? So, who is it that is hosting that document now? Looks like a snake oil peddler to me.

Look at the results you can get with one of their magnetic water softeners.
small_lemon1.jpg

Wow!

This one might be legit. No shortcuts with this one like clamping some device to your pipes. It requires a real installation and water must flow through it and it involves filters. This company also sells reverse osmosis systems as well. The statement above about "keeping the chemicals of the 'hard' water in solution", isn't that the definition of hard water? Minerals in solution.

The bashing comes easy when one of the devices being discussed here is from a snake oil peddler and that the device was tested by Consumer Reports and was shown not to work. Perhaps there are some of these systems that work, but the problem is that the reputation is being tarnished my the multitude of snake oil peddlers that are out there selling these sort of devices that either do not work or not applied appropriately.

Apples to oranges. What about MRIs proves that electromagnetic water softeners work?

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Hey, time travel is not yet possible, so I guess that is proof that these things do not work?

While you might be an honest person trying to do some research, citing links to a snake oil web site gives the impression that you might be a shill for one of these peddlers.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey, time travel is not yet possible, .......

All that is lacking for that is the necessary 21.21 GigaVolts!

In all this discussion, has anyone, or CAN anyone , point to any military or industrial process where this magnetic technology is being used to demineralize their process water?, as a replacement for resin ion exchange?

If it works, then the price will either come down to earth, or no one will buy it. Solar electric panels for your roof do work well, and the payback period on the investment is longer than the life expectancy of the house. That is why only AlGore and Ed Begley are rushing to embrace this technology right now. You can replace a 60 watt bulb with about a 5 watt LED, but that bulb costs $115! I'll wait!

TheGreatAus

Reaction score
The only real intelligible response to peoples posts is Carl H.'s. And I thank you for that. I can assure you Im a poor graduate student in Salt Lake City that is looking for a way try and eliminate the hard water in my small condo, not a salesman for these 'snake-oil peddlers', just someone wanting to know about this intriguing topic. I dont have the room in my condo for a typical chemical treatment method, so I typed in 'small water softeners' and found a variety of softeners, some of which were the electromagnetic softeners. I eventually found this thread (I know Im repeating myself, but you all apparently are skeptics of my own validity) and wanted to shed light on the topic, as I am as much a skeptic as I am a believer. I had a hard time finding much of anything on non-chemical methods of water 'purifying' (as its not purifying, but rather a method to control scaling, some of you are having a hard time understanding this (see the quote right below)), so I am still somewhat in the dark on specific examples and good science ON those examples.

In all this discussion, has anyone, or CAN anyone , point to any military or industrial process where this magnetic technology is being used to demineralize their process water?, as a replacement for resin ion exchange?
So the answer to your question is no, because its not what it does.

There's so much hocus pocus to the belief that you can hook a magnet to a water line is because everybody including the senior citizen on welfare on the second floor above a chinese voodoo

Since you're highly intelligent on these matters, I would like you to contact the makers of such products

I want to believe, just like you...

I dont believe, Im a scientist, Im trying to understand. And I have sent emails to the manufacturers listed in the DOE link that was in Carls and my own post trying to get some information on their products. I sent them last night, so probably wont hear from them atleast until Monday.

As a PhD student, you should work a little more on your critical thinking skills. Have you conducted any empirical testing of your own under controlled conditions?

This one might be legit. No shortcuts with this one like clamping some device to your pipes.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Hey, time travel is not yet possible, so I guess that is proof that these things do not work?

I disagree on my critical thinking, I have thought a lot on this and am looking for 'experts' on the subject and done literature searches on my own, and have come to no conclusion on the topic, other than it seems you have to have a strong magnet in order to get any real effect. I have not conducted any experiments on this, Im an organometallic chemist and dont have the equipment to perform them, or I probably would. But it is a good suggestion for a general experiment for a collaberation with a civil engineer.

And as far as the last part of the quote, what my allegory was illustrating was that people shouldnt speak too soon, not time travel. If there is good science behind it, it IS legitimate (like evolution, for another example). However, the ONLY good science was in the link of a company selling their own product, however, to their benefit, did reference data collected by outside sources.

And the MRI reference was to illustrate that magnets DO in fact have an influence on water. However, understanding how MRI's work, I still am searching as to exactly HOW the magnetic field would change the surface tension of room temperature water to that of boiling water (the physical property change magnets have on water that some of the links eluded too), which is really quite fascinating.

Solar electric panels for your roof do work well, and the payback period on the investment is longer than the life expectancy of the house.

Have faith in your countries scientists: http://www.mrl.ucsb.edu/mrl/faculty/heeger.html . He's invented cheap thin film solar cells that have some of the best solar conversions yet, something that Wal-mart is considering putting on some of their buildings as an experiment to lessen their own daily operating costs, something I wish all companies would do.

TheGreatAus

Reaction score
What???

I figured it out folks!

He left an N out of his username!

Don't tell me you didn't think the same either!!!

You did!!

Wow! Look at the size of that lemon! I gots to have one!

I dont get this at all....way to contribute though.

CarlH

Reaction score
Im a poor graduate student in Salt Lake City that is looking for a way try and eliminate the hard water in my small condo, not a salesman for these 'snake-oil peddlers', just someone wanting to know about this intriguing topic. I dont have the room in my condo for a typical chemical treatment method, so I typed in 'small water softeners' and found a variety of softeners, some of which were the electromagnetic softeners.

I did a search on that Santa Clarita Water Conditioning company and came up with a couple of discussions. One of them mentioned a small reverse osmosis units that might fit under a sink. The problem with the reverse osmosis is that the water they take in is greater than the water they output. At the moment, I don't remember what they said about the Sanat Clarita units. Mind you that I know very little about water softeners and don't own one.

I eventually found this thread (I know Im repeating myself, but you all apparently are skeptics of my own validity) and wanted to shed light on the topic, as I am as much a skeptic as I am a believer. I had a hard time finding much of anything on non-chemical methods of water 'purifying' (as its not purifying, but rather a method to control scaling, some of you are having a hard time understanding this (see the quote right below)), so I am still somewhat in the dark on specific examples and good science ON those examples.

The problem is that it appeared as though you might be one of those one post wonders and that it looked like you might be supporting or promoting these units.

I dont believe, Im a scientist, Im trying to understand. And I have sent emails to the manufacturers listed in the DOE link that was in Carls and my own post trying to get some information on their products. I sent them last night, so probably wont hear from them atleast until Monday.

They might give you some information, but they are unlikely to have something that fits your needs since they appear to do this on an industrial scale. Good luck in getting information, you might find it difficult getting to the right person.

I disagree on my critical thinking,

Just pickin' at you for providing a link on a snake oil web site. I'm not sure if you knew what else was on that web site.

And the MRI reference was to illustrate that magnets DO in fact have an influence on water. However, understanding how MRI's work, I still am searching as to exactly HOW the magnetic field would change the surface tension of room temperature water to that of boiling water (the physical property change magnets have on water that some of the links eluded too), which is really quite fascinating.

The problem is that it adds noise to the discussion since there is no direct correlation between an MRI and the effectiveness of a water softener.

Assuming that there are some of these units that work and are suitable for a residential application, the problem is that there are a number of disreputable companies selling equipment that is supposed to be using this technology to be equivalent to the chemical water softeners. This has muddied the waters and might make it difficult for you to get accurate information on the subject.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I dont get this at all....way to contribute though.

Tongue n Cheek my friend! You are far greater than me on this subject, CarlH is better suited for this duel!

Just remember that I am the hands and eyes that witness the many spent dollars on this idea that promises everything, and delivers nothing.

That's an expert witness testimony to all the fallen victims called homeowners.

If you have something credible, you are facing an uphill battle with the reputation these devices currently posess.

But then again, they still sell these damn things. :mad:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
All we need now is our 2 self appointed tankless water heater experts Greg Sauls and Laddy Boy to show up lending their water conditioning knowledge to this discussion...:eek:

TheGreatAus,
Perhaps you should move on past the graduate program at the Pleasant Grove Community College and enter the real world. Read at these 2 links below and learn... You will see that you don't have to always be poor. From these 2 links you may become rich in knowledge and it will save you from wasting your precious money on voodoo water softeners...

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magscams.html

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/catscams.html

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The Great Aus....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks