Well Pump Cycling

Users who are viewing this thread

chris_dale

Reaction score
I am having problems with my well.... the Bladder tanks is only 5 years old and seems to be holding pressure when tank is drained it is set at 38 psi I have a pressure switch set at 40/60 that seems to be working at the proper times, I thought i had a pump problem so i replaced the 1/2 hp Well pump with a 3/4 hp pump. but the problem stayed the same. so i replaced the control box still no change.

the well is drilled the water level is about 35 feet and the pump is hanging at 55 feet. I thought that the control box was bud so i replaced it.

What i am seeing is when i turn power on to the pump with the system drained the Pressure switch engages and water starts to flow into the Tank. after about 10 to 15 seconds it stops flowing water the watter pressure is around 45psi and the pressure switch is still engaged. After about 20 seconds the water starts flowing againg and the pressure incressed to around 55 psi then stops but the pressure switch is still engaged. Then after another 20 seconds the water stats again and the psi goes to 60 and the prssure switch disengages.

What could cause this type of cycling?

this system has been working in the home for thirty years untill two weeks ago.

R

Rancher

The pressure switch may still be closed however is the pump still running? I suspect you are pumping the well dry, the pump, both old and new were going into thermal overload and shutting down, starting back up and the well had recovered some so they continued to pump. Listen at the well head, you can hear the pump suck air.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
One thing about a submersible pump motors overload. The more it trips, the longer it takes to come back on because of the increased heat in and around the motor.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks