Double-Tapping?

Users who are viewing this thread

alt

Reaction score
During the home inspection of our new house (we close next week), the inspector showed us the electric meter and pointed out that it had been double-tapped when the central a/c unit was added (home built 1952, central a/c installed 2001). He said this was not up to code, and could cause arcing and be a fire hazard and should be corrected. I called the local power company (Rocky Mtn. Power) and they said that we would need to get an electrician to come fix it since it was "inside" the house. But the meter is on the outside of the house, and that is where the connection is. I don't know much about electrical wiring or really understand how all this works, but it sounds like something that ought to be taken care of. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Per some (all that I have ever dealt with) utilities this is inside the house, It is on the customer side of the meter.

Unless the connections are loose, corroded or are in some other way defective, this should not be an arcing issue. Several other factors come into play these are national Electrical Code issues and UL listing issues; did they mix aluminum and copper conductors, how far is it to the HVAC disconnect is this a fusible disconnect, are the conductor termination connectors rated for a two conductor termination.

All in all without seeing it it sounds like there may be some issues but MAYBE not a fire hazard. Understand the average home inspector (THAT I HAVE DEALT WITH) has no business citing any electrical issues, in my experience (and as stated on numerous forums) home inspectors are, well LAUGHED AT best.

This is not to say there is not a place for home inspectors BUT UNLESS HE CAN SITE Code, if you really have ANY electrical concerns you should hire a QUALIFIED electrician.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
As Brian said there “could†be several code and listing issues and it does need to be assessed by a qualified and or licensed electrical contractor.

As to the arcing and starting a fire, I think that you said;
a/c installed 2001
Don’t sound like it has started a fire in the past six years so I would have to ask, “was there something that the inspector saw that was a danger?â€

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Tell the seller to get an electrician out there to correct the violation listed.

They will do it. They WANT to sell their house.

Double tapped breakers are very common in older places that have had unqualified people working on them over the years. SOMETIMES it's an easy fix.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The original post described double taps off the meter. I think that constitutes two service connections at the same house.

The disconnecting means for the second circuit must be service-rated and should be part of a group of not more than 6 devices to completely disconnect the service. The overcurrent protection must be part of or immediately adjacent to the disconnecting means.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The original post described double taps off the meter

The OP was a homowner who doesn't know a meter from a breaker.

I assumed that the double taps were off a breaker to the AC.

I'll buy you a beer if I'm wrong.

alt

Reaction score
Sorry! I'll try to upload or link a picture of it so you can see what we've got.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
But the meter is on the outside of the house, and that is where the connection is.
Sounds like a highly illegal double tap at the meter to me too.
Is the main breaker also at the meter? Could be that as well.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In AZ the breakers are generally outside in the same enclosure as the meter. (All in one panel) Thats why I was thinking a breaker was double tapped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks