Bathroom and Closet Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'm creating a new bathroom and closet. What is the best way to run circuits for this?

I plan to have the following...

Bathroom:
GFCI Outlet
Two Sconces for lighting
Vent Fan
120V electric heater with line voltage thermostat

Closet:
Closet light

Existing Bedroom adjacent to Closet:
Two Outlets

Can I do this to code with two circuits or do I need three?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You can use existing circuit for the lighting but need to run new circuits for heater and GFCI outlet.

Wait....BR outlets must be on AFCI so.....maybe 3 unless you change the existing BR circuit to AFCI

Last edited:

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Let me add a little more color

My house is old... 1931. Right now the entire 2nd floor (two bedrooms, and a landing area), a 1st floor bedrooom, hallway light, 1st floor bathroom light and fan are all on one 15 amp circuit. Might not be a bad idea to switch the breaker to AFCI.

I'm sure this is too much by today's standards... or is it?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Yeah, it's called "grandfathering" - code changes don't force you to upgrade old wiring, it only affect what gets done after the code change.

So as long as you don't change anything, your wiring just has to meet what was code when it was put in.

But if you do change anything, like add a circuit, the new part has to be code-compliant to today's standards.

A lot of apartments in NYC are still running off a single 20 amp fuse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks