(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bathroom ceiling fan

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    From what I have read about humidistats, it sounds like the setting on it has to be changed as the outdoor temp changes, correct?
    Not that I know about, but maybe someone else knows better. The dehumidifier next to the sump in my basement remains at the same setting year-round, but it runs more often and longer in the summer when the ambient humidity is higher. I hope to get my bathroom project finished over the next few weeks, and I am assuming the dehumidistat connected to the exhaust fan will do about the same.

With this short of a run, would it be a problem using an elbow right after the exhaust flange?
    Not that I can see.

... and then out thru the rim joist.
    In your picture, that joist does not appear to be sitting on top of the wall. If not, some reinforcement should be added.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

For a humidifier, the better ones come with an outside sensor. That sensor adjusts the relative humidity level the humidifier is attempting to attain in the house so that on a really cold day, it doens't put quite as much moisture in the house so that you don't get condensation on the (probably) cold walls. Also, it automatically shuts off as the temperature outside gets higher. Mine won't let it run if the outside temp is 50F or higher. It works pretty well, and came standard with the AprilAire humidifier I installed. It is optional on others.

Removing to 50% in the winter might be great, but 50% in the summer might be too much (i.e., not attainable because of local conditions). So, adjusting it to the outside ambient temperature might be useful. If you don't, depending on where it is set, it might never turn off.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014