Correct size for Thermostatic valve and controls

Users who are viewing this thread

sodian

Reaction score
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if a 3/4 thermostatic valve is the correct choice (vs the 1/2 model) when used with both a shower head and a hand held shower unit? Each shower head will be controlled by volume control. Not sure about whether to use 1/2 or 3/4 inch for the volume controls. The hot and cold water feeds are 1/2 inch. My water pressure is 50 PSI with a flow rate of 7 GPM. If I was to use the 3/4 inch parts should the piping be 3/4 inch or reduced to 1/2 between the thermostatic valve and the volume controls and the volume controls to the shower heads?
I contacted the Manufacturer, Grohe, and all they said was that with 2 outlets I could use either. They were not much help.
Steve Odian

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By federal regs, a showerhead can't use more than 2.5gpm, so with two heads max, it probably won't make much difference...I concur. It gets to be more of a factor if you've got more heads. The 1/2" valve is less expensive. Now, if you had 3/4" supply lines and were filling a big tub, that would be a different story.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks